Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Reflections or Resolutions?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

Every year, we spend New Year's Eve with some of our best friends, couples we have known since years before wedding days and kiddos came along. In the past, we would have gone out, stayed up well past midnight (and sleep well past noon on January 1). Now, we all park ourselves at someone's home, cook, and hang out on the couches, with kids running around in the basement and watching movies, with all of us barely keeping our eyes open to watch the TV and see the ball drop in Times Square.

One thing that hasn't changed over the years? Our conversations. We all talk about the past 12 months, what we have accomplished, as well as what didn't quite work out like we had planned. It's a roundtable of reflections, so to speak.

Do we also list out some goals, some ideas of what we want to do in the coming year? Yes. What's on the list? Ideas like "Lose 10 pounds." or "Get a new job." are sometimes mentioned. More often, the resolutions are reminders to do better things for our family and ourselves.

What will I be chatting about as 2013 ends and we flip the calendar to 2014? I'm pretty proud of my kiddo and my husband. I'm happy about some ways I've changed...but not all of them. I'll probably add onto my 2013 resolutions list some ways to take a little more time to relax, ideas so I am more focused on being rather than doing, how I can devote minutes and hours to experiences rather than stuff. And a mention of being a little healthier eating-wise. Oh, and reading more. Okay, the list is pretty long.   

What are you reflecting on today? How was your 2013? What's your goal for 2014?

ŠiStockphoto.com/IvelinRadkov

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Christa on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:02 AM

2013 was more bad than good for us. Between struggling to keep bills paid and getting our car stolen and other crap I am ready for this year to be gone. I am hoping like hell 2014 is much better!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:10 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:28 AM

2013 was a great year for us & both my kids,
I expect/hope 2014 will be even better for all of us :)

suziejax
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:11 AM

My goals for 2014 wil be long term goals from 2013 i set a while back just carried over until they are fully reached. Now i need to set some new short term goals

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:32 AM

all & all 2013 was a good year.  like all years it had it's issues, almost loosing my mom in june being amongst the biggest.  but hubby & i are employed.  the kids have food & clothes.  we're all in relative good health. 

we all have things to work on though.  doesn't everyone?  we don't make resolution lists though or set goals for the new year.  over the years i've found that's the quickest way to disappointment.  you set a goal to loose 25lbs but only loose 8.  your mind tends to see that as a failure rather than an accomplishment.  we humans tend to linger on the negatives.  when we do not reach the goals we've set for ourselves it can lead us to see the year as an accumulation of disappointments rather than allowing us to focus on all the good.

bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Ya know .. as i look back on 2013 - i find that there were many things i was gonna do but never did .. I find that while it was a great year since we had our 4th ds ;) there are many things we took for granted .. I know that for the 2014 year my main goal is to get me and my boys into a church type setting .. since we really havent been all year - and i know there are some that dont agree or believe or whatnot and im totally cool with that ! As we all do whats best for our family and this is something thats important to me since my 6 yr old has really started asking questions.. My biggest goal for 2014 is being accepted into the local LPN program as i want to make sure i can provide for my boys if something were to happen to my dh .. Im not caring to much about weight or other goals like that ..

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM

My 2013 was great up until the last month....Nevertheless, it rocked...We are living in our "almost dreamhome"...But our dream of a house in the woods, is reality.....I promised myself to be as stress-free as possible, and I did really well...I've started writing a journal, thinking I may just take a read later..I'm going to continue my stress free as possible route and my journaling....I am soooo looking forward to 2014....The bittersweet part is our 3rd daughter will be 18 in November..She may graduate this june ( a year early) and she's making plans on moving in with her sister at the coast...Soo changes for sure...I'm preparing the little ones for the transition...Then we're in the process of fostering my great nephew..A couple set backs, but they said nothing major...So we shall see...I'm just excited to get him and to get to know him as an almost 2 year old, instead of a baby...... 

alf2651
by Amanda on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM

2013 was more bad then good. I'm hoping that 2014 will be a much better year for all of us.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

fraujones
by Amanda on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM

2013 was mostly good with some low points. I'm hoping to be more organized in the upcoming year. 

alliesmom112
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM

2013 was a great year for us.  

MamaMandee
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:58 PM
2013 was an interesting year between me falling down the flight of stairs and DH's niece coming to live with us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)