Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: New Year, New Style?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 47 Replies

Okay, so all this week, it's been about Change with a capital C. As we've flipped the calendars, everybody seems to be focused on those personal improvements to make in 2014. It's easy to do the whole "be healthier, be happier" kind of resolutions - they are lofty, super practical, abide by the "living your best life" focus we all strive to attain.

But part of me likes the more frivolous resolutions. Last year? I pledged to paint my nails more. I know, totally not changing the world, let alone my community, but was it fun to do with my Kiddo on a regular basis? Yessiree. So this year, I'm thinking I want to finally discover and cultivate my personal style. I'm beyond following style fads, I'm over shopping the trends...yet I am not sure I'm rocking my true personal style.

How's your style? Have you discovered -- and are really buying for -- your best style? You know, the one that when you have it all together, makes you feel like you can conquer the world (or at least your To Do List)? There are questions you can ask yourself to hone in on what that style is...and when is a better time to do that then at the beginning of the New Year? So, what am I asking myself as I stare at the closet now in 2014?

1. What color makes me happy?
Now, if you say blue, and then look in the closet and see all red, you've got a bit of a problem.

2. When I get dressed, do I feel confident?
Even if you are going to drop-off or working out, do you feel confident in what you are wearing? Does it represent your best self for that situation?

3. Does getting dressed give me anxiety?
When it takes you a long time to figure out what to wear or if you are frustrated when putting together outfits, this is a huge signal you need to revamp the wardrobe and actively work on finding a style that works for you.

4. Do I shop at the same places all of the time?
If you shop at the same stores, you can be limiting yourself from truly embracing a signature style -- and we all know it's difficult to break out of that rut that could be holding you back.

5. Do you have 8 pairs of black pants (or insert many items of the same thing)?
If you find yourself buying the same thing over and over again, you are keeping yourself in that safe zone. Yes, you may love that cardigan look, but when that is all you have in your wardrobe, you are not really exploring what can be your best self.

Do you need a new style in this new year? What are your fashion troubles?

©iStockphoto.com/Songquan Deng 

by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by Pam on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

I have decided not to buy as many tshirts. Even tho I'm a Sahm I would like to start dressing a bit nicer. So since I have lost 39 lbs and still loosing I need new clothes. I'm going to start buying a little bit nicer shirts.
I bought my first one yesterday.

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I do need new clothes, but I don't think I need a new style.

I mainly need shirts.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I am pretty basic on what I wear. It would be nice to get some new clothes

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Ilove that shirt, it is pretty

Quoting wandep:

Mobile Photo

I have decided not to buy as many tshirts. Even tho I'm a Sahm I would like to start dressing a bit nicer. So since I have lost 39 lbs and still loosing I need new clothes. I'm going to start buying a little bit nicer shirts.

wandep
by Pam on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Thanks! I do too. :)

Quoting othermom:

Ilove that shirt, it is pretty

Quoting wandep:

Mobile Photo

nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 11:04 AM

well right now I have a new style, it's called preggo schick LOL

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 11:34 AM

not really a new style but i definitely need some new clothes. it's been a long while since i bought clothes & things like my jeans are wearing a bit thin.

SimplyEnchanted
by Kristin on Jan. 2, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I need new clothes but it's hard finding things that I like because I'm a bit of a loon and like whimsical/elven looking stuff.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jan. 2, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I don't need a new style per se....I'd like to get some new clothes....

fraujones
by Amanda on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I could use some more work pants. And a hair update. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN