Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebration: New Year’s Eve With Kids

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies

We don't usually do much on New Year's Eve, especially now that we have kids. But that doesn't make it any less special to us, or fun, or memorable. Why? Because we honestly just enjoy being together with whatever friends and family are nearby, having some good food and a delicious desert, putting on some good music and enjoying the moment.

Some fun things we do with kids now that we are parents, which I also grew up doing, are sort of timeless, silly fun that anyone can take part in and enjoy, at any age, any place. We have a potluck or share a fun, communal meal like a fondue. We play card games, some simple like Uno or Go Fish, some more complicated like Hearts or Poker if the kids are in bed. We play board games sometimes, like Pictionary or Shoots and Ladders or Bingo! But my favorite New Year's Eve activity by far is playing family games like charades, where people are all involved, actively. My kid is only five and this holiday season we have been playing a lot of charades with her, where she just acts like some sort of animal and we have to guess which one. (No sounds allowed though!) The person who guesses right goes next. It only takes a few minutes each turn, but it can be hysterically funny, simple and really engaging. We have done the same where we are acting like people we know, and that's really funny too. Another childhood favorite of mine was having a piñata or those table crackers that you pull open and are filled with little surprises to play with.

It's also fun to take a late night stroll as a family, with sparklers, on New Year's Eve. You can teach your little ones to write out their names or a special wish with the sparklers in the sky. You can find a fountain and throw in a penny for the New Year. Whether you are walking through the woods, a field, or through a town or large city, taking a walk together to end the year, and talk about things you are looking forward to in the New Year, is a really nice way to say goodbye to the old and welcome the new adventures that lie ahead for you and your whole family.

How do you most enjoy celebrating New Year's Eve with kids?

© iStockphoto.com/HannamariaH

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Christa on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM

We don't really do anything for New Years Eve. :/ The kids are all in bed by midnight

Miss_Metal_Spaz
by Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:10 AM
I'm so mad because they already called my husband in to work New Year's Eve. He originally had that day off. :(
mamivon2
by Sandra on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:18 AM

we supoose to go to friends.. usually we stayed home, watched the ball drop and go to bed

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:23 AM

unless our neighbor is having a party we typically don't do much of anything on new years.  the kids get to stay up, if they can.  in the past we've had pizza & movie night, game night, but really nothing more than our usual family night fun. 

this year i'm planning on taking them to the cheap theater for an early movie, they want to see cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2 & then out to dinner, at the moment they want to go to ci-ci's.  then we'll come home & relax.

alliesmom112
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:26 AM

We attend a NYE party hosted by our Sunday school class. It is for adults and kids, There is always lots of food and games for everyone. 

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:36 AM
When ours were younger we used to always have another family over. Their kids were best friends with our kids. We would do a potluck of food. The adults would play cards and the kids would play video games. It was tradition, when the kids fell asleep we drew all over em and crayola marker. This was only if they did not make it to midnight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Where does he work?

Quoting Miss_Metal_Spaz: I'm so mad because they already called my husband in to work New Year's Eve. He originally had that day off. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:36 AM

We tell stories and also remember stuff that happened during the day. the kids tell the rest of the family things like "i lost my first tooth this year" or we remember moments of the year.

we also talk about what we want the new year to be like, or what we are going to change or do better.  we plan on our summer vacations and things like that.

we watch movies and the end of year celebrations on tv.

conversate, play, eat and drink with family.  then when its midnight everyone hugs and kisses and wishes each other a great year :)

suziejax
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:27 AM

We eat fun foods,play games and watch the ball drop on tv...some years we have gone to church fellowship gathers at midnight

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Sometimes we go to family/kid friendly NYE events around town.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)