Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ended up in the ER with Corbin last night

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM
  • 58 Replies

Mobile Photo

We all got this cold and I thought it was relatively mild. After a day, most of us started feeling better. Christmas night Corbin got hit by it, hard. He was up coughing all night, but then yesterday after some snuggling he really perked up, even jumped on the trampoline and fought with his brothers. Then last night at bedtime he started struggling to breathe. Every breath sounded horrible and you could see his neck caving in. I put the beanbag under his pillow to help him sleep more upright and it seemed to help, but he would only sleep for a couple of minutes and then wake up coughing and get all worked up again.

I got really scared when he started talking to me about things he saw that weren't really there. I thought the fever was making him hallucinate, but it never got above 100.5 so I really think he was just so tired that he was half dreaming since his eyes were closed most of the time.

There is an emergency room right down the street from us, so I took him there. I've never seen a standalone ER before, they've all been attached to hospitals. They got him right in and he got 2 breathing treatments, and I got him home at 2am and he slept so peacefully the rest of the night.

They said it was textbook croup and the reason he got so bad is his airway is the smallest so the swelling makes a bigger difference.
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Christa on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Aww :( I hope he feels better soon.
lunyuny
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Poor guy :( hope he feels better soon
heydooney
by Danielle :) on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Mobile Photo

He hated this thing, it was the sensor they taped to his foot. He just kept repeating, "I hate this thing!" until he would doze off.

His oxygen levels were good though!
nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM

awww, glad they took him right away. hope he feels better soon

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM

awe, hope he feels better soon

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM

poor guy!  my friend's 7yr old son has had two bouts of croup in the last two months.  i know how miserable he's been.  hope corbin gets to feeling better soon!

lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM

poor guy :( Does he have big tonsils? Cace's were huge and blocked almost his whole airways so the slightest sickness made it impossible for him to breathe :( Hope he is better soon!

lasombrs
by Sara on Dec. 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM

This one time when Cace was under presedation (he was really stoned basically on valium or something) before his MRI he had one on his toe and he was dead convinced his foot was glowing from the inside and cracking up. I wish i had it taped. Funniest thing ever!

Quoting heydooney:

Mobile Photo

He hated this thing, it was the sensor they taped to his foot. He just kept repeating, "I hate this thing!" until he would doze off.

His oxygen levels were good though!

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Poor kiddo, I hope he's feeling better.

amyjane22
by Amy on Dec. 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Aww, poor guy!  I hope he's better soon!

feel better

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)