Smarter Style: Plain and Simple

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

Winter's in full swing and baby, it's cold outside! That means dressing in many layers, for us, no matter if we are going to school, work, sledding or shopping. And I have to admit, this is somewhat embarrassing, but I recently picked up a great wardrobe trick from a kid in my daughter's preschool (?!!) She's the kind of girl who always looks like she's right out of a J. Crew magazine, even though she's not wearing anything fancy. She's wearing the same old layers we all are, and yet she's got that cool, pretty, no-fuss style going on ALL the time. (And yes, technically she's 4, so we'll thank her mom, when I get the courage).

So what's her trick? I figured it out pretty quickly thanks to my keen powers of observation. She basically only wears clothing that are solid colors, and no crazy colors like day-glow orange either. This way, no matter how many layers she has on, even if it's like five things, it still looks pretty classic, pulled together and cohesive. I love that.

Personally, I tend to go for stripes and plaid, polka dots and lots of bright colors and patterns about half the time when I shop for myself and my daughter. What does this yield in winter, when we need to layer things? Almost always, a bit of a mess.... And pretty much never a cool, sophisticated look. So I'm taking some cues from this cutie pie and I'm going to keep the layers a little more plain, simple and pulled-together this winter, maybe with a splash of bright color just now and then, or one stripped item on one layer. Sometimes.

What's your winter style?

© iStockphoto.com/princigalli

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:28 AM
Love layers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Jacket and boots that is when it gets cold in Florida. LOL

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:57 AM
I usually wear jeans & a sweater when it's cold
Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Jeans, a sweater and cute boots!

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Sweatshirt and sweatpants and my fuzzy slippers....Sometimes my footie pajama's.....Yes, I've gone to pick up the girls in them...NO, I didn't get out of my truck..... 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:54 AM

I layer in a similar color pallette, so I can mix and match. Most of my colors are blues, browns, purples, and gray... Pretty interchangeable. :)

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:18 AM

black coat, plain colors

Juniper53098
by June on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I like a plain colored sweater, with a pattern in the knit with jeans and heels.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:47 AM

It only gets cold here a few days a year.I usually wear a sweatshirt and sweatpants

proudmommy690
by Christa on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:28 AM
Jeans and my hoodie. At home my sweatpants and long sleeves if needed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: