Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebration: Looking Ahead

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies

Sometimes, in the dead of winter, when the sun sets hours before dinner even hits out table, I think about how nice it would be to throw a party for no other reason than to have a bunch of fun friends over, enjoy some good food, laugh about old times and talk about plans for the warmer months ahead.

Having a party theme, like "looking ahead" can turn a simple get-together into a really fun and memorable event. You can tell people your plan ahead of time, or make it a surprise when they get there. You can get creative really and have someone pretend to read a crystal ball, or hire a taro reader or fortune-teller for an hour. You can play "Back to the Future" or some other fun, well-loved movie in the background to enhance your hokey theme. You can have everyone write down something they wish to do, or wish they might become, in the future, fold the slips and put them in a jar. Then read them out loud and guests have to try to guess who wrote what. You can have each person write a postcard (get some fun ones, from a convenient store) to someone else at the party, or to themselves, in the future, and give them envelopes to seal them. Then promise to mail them in a couple of months or years even. (I did this in high school and it was kind of weird, but cool too).

You could go a whole different route and just make your party spring-themed or alien themed, or some other version or vision of "looking ahead." Of course, you could also just embrace the cold winter days we are living in, have a roaring fire (or pop in a DVD of a roaring fire, like I do), roast some marshmallows, have a snowman building contest, spike some hot cocoa with rum and have a great time that way as well. Whatever you do, remember that a little get together and some good old silly grown up fun can go a long way to lifting spirits and keeping moods merry all through the dark winter days and nights.

Do you have any ideas for a fun winter get-together?

© iStockphoto.com/petesaloutos

by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Christa on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:12 AM
TFS. I have no fun ideas.
Vertical15
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 12:13 AM

I am an organizer for a playgroup in my area and we just have tons of at home play dates over the winter months to keep from going stir crazy in our own homes. 

We each take turns and there isn't usually much of a theme but sometimes its the upcoing holiday or someone's birthday.  Those help make a fun get-together.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM

No, we don't get together much in the winter, except to go out to dinner.

wandep
by Pam on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Thanks!

wandep
by Pam on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:56 AM

That sounds nice. I wish I had playgroups when my kids were little.

Quoting Vertical15:

I am an organizer for a playgroup in my area and we just have tons of at home play dates over the winter months to keep from going stir crazy in our own homes. 

We each take turns and there isn't usually much of a theme but sometimes its the upcoing holiday or someone's birthday.  Those help make a fun get-together.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM

We have so many winter birthdays in our family that I don't want to think about any other parties! lol

fraujones
by Amanda on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Winter book club with wine and treats! 

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:02 AM

We really don't do much other than the holidays during the winter other than that we just do dinners for birthdays spring and summer and fall we do a lot

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jan. 10, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Great ideas, thanks for sharing..

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 11:36 AM

We have small, fun gatherings with friends often... Just because :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)