Group Home

Smarter Family: Instant Igloo

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

There are few memories of my childhood in winter that I love better than the couple of times I got to successfully build an igloo or snow fort. One time in particular was really great, even though it happened with some kid I did not know and never saw again, who was staying in a hotel next door to where we were staying. What was so great about that snow structure was that it lasted for days! So long, in fact, that I remember bringing food in there to enjoy, like a meal in a new home!

I've attempted a couple of igloos for my kid the past few winters with moderate success and she loved them. Then last winter we went to the mountains. When we got there, there was not much snow, but there was this big white plastic igloo for kids to play in, near a playground. When it snowed a few days later, that igloo was COVERED in snow, but because it was a solid plastic structure, there was no need to waste anytime digging and shoveling, building and struggling: the igloo was perfect just like that. And this gave me an idea. What if, right before you know it's going to snow, you find a large plastic (or wooden) receptacle or container of some kind, just large enough for a little kid to crawl into, make a door or opening in the side, turn it upside down and then, when the snow falls, you'll have an instant igloo!

You can use a very large plastic storage bin, I think, or even an oversized (clean!) plastic trashcan. You can also use a sturdy table and just provide separate covers for two of the sides. You could also build a little structure with whatever you have in your garage. You really just need 2 or 3 walls and a roof, and if the walls are slanted a little you'll need less snowfall to get a great effect. You can also use a large umbrella as a perfect roof and just find a way to anchor it and make some sides. The idea is to use something solid as the structure for the igloo, and then as the snow falls and settles around, all the work is done for you, and you know it will be a solid snow playhouse for your kids to enjoy.

Have you ever made an igloo and do you have any easy tips to share?

© iStockphoto.com/AndreasWeber  

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:21 AM

we've never had enough snow to make an igloo

CalicoMeezer
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:32 AM
Ditto

Quoting .Angelica.:

shymomof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:00 AM

This exactly.  We hardly ever get snow.  If we do it is just enough to barely cover the ground. 

Quoting .Angelica.:

ScrChk23
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:50 AM

My parents made some for us when we were younger.

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:18 AM

We've never made an igloo or anything.

My cousin once made snowmen shaped like Elmo and Cookie Monster. Cutest things ever..lol. But we haven't had a snow big enough to play in since 2010.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:21 AM
I made one when I was younger.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by kimmy on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:40 AM
Idk if it was a "igloo" but it was more like a snow tent. Lol
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:14 AM

we made one and apparently it collapsed on me but i dont remember!

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Several times when we were young!!! It is awesome!
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:31 AM
That would be so fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. deccaf
  2. SweetLuci
  3. egyptian_mommy
  4. mrswillie
  5. TigerofMu
  6. jconney80