Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Celebrations: What’s Your Cup of Tea?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 61 Replies

Welcome to January, friends! Anyone already become, um, tripped up on those resolutions? Alas, me too (I have not flossed every day...I skipped last Friday). I'm thinking a better way to improve myself is to make little changes, maybe one a month, and see what sticks. This month: I'm trying to like tea. I know, a bit of an odd one, but as a coffee lover in a family of tea drinkers, it's about time I figure out a tea that I like, to give myself an alternate hot beverage choice. And you know what? January is Hot Tea Month...it's a sign, right?

Many folks say that the act of making tea -- the waiting for the water to boil, the waiting for leaves to steep, the focus it takes on this one task of creating the perfect cup of tea -- it's a little like living. Be 100% focused on what you are doing and not anything else...it's how we should attack any moment our life, no? The other thing about creating a perfect cup of tea? It's all up to you. No one does it the same way, no one loves the same perfect cup of tea, it's all your own personal choice...and it may take quite a few tries to figure out what is your perfect cup of tea. Again, similar to finding your path in life.

So, all of this adds up to something I want to tackle this month. What tea am I going to try first? I don't know...in my research, I discovered that green teas are supposed to give uber-health benefits, but they may be too weak for my taste. I want a strong tea, which means I should focus on black tea (the one with the most caffeine) or oolong -- or one I had never heard of before: a mate tea.

Okay, all you tea lovers, help me out -- what tea should I try? 

©iStockphoto.com/mstay 

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taKENheart
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:10 AM

I don't do tea very often so I can't really help.  I can say that Oolong is pretty good.
If you want to do loose leaf tea then I guess chai is out, lol.  I love chai tea but it has to be the powdered kind.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:59 AM

When I drink tea it is the basic boring Lipton's but so yummy :)

bhwrn1
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 5:50 AM

I drink Jasmine Green Tea. I love it.

Jemia
by Shekella on Jan. 6, 2014 at 6:50 AM
I only drink Lipton
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:11 AM
I love just regular tea. I love to get the celestial seasons teas. They make good ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by Angela on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:18 AM

I only drink Lipton home brewed sweet tea on a regular basis, but chai tea is good too.

Mznaye
by Jo on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:44 AM
Peppermint Tea is excellent
Mznaye
by Jo on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I enjoy a nice cup of fresh brewed Jasmine Green Tea

Quoting bhwrn1:

I drink Jasmine Green Tea. I love it.

Mznaye
by Jo on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:46 AM
Have you tried any of their flavored tea?

Quoting Jemia: I only drink Lipton
BKozICan
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Like you, I gotta have it strong. I am a lazy brewer and just use a coffee make for my first morning cups. I have a five cup maker and I use two Red Rose and one Lipton bag in the pot (not the basket where you put coffee). I turn it off as soon as it is done running the water through. Everyone knows not to put coffee in my coffe maker or I will cut them (not really sure I am kidding on that one).

Mate is strong and I like it occassionally. Plain grocery store black is my general, daily drinking preference. Herbals and green are just too "grassy" for me. Hibiscus makes me gag and chamomile makes me sneeze. I really like cherry, blueberry and orange spice with cloves flavored black teas. I don't have a favorite like assam or darjeeling-I generally buy an ounce of unflavored blacks here and there and mix them in a tin.

I just bought an ounce of chocolate tea and have not made it yet. I have a small coffee press I use for making special afternoon cups of tea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN