Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Tips for A Good Night's Rest

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies

One of my main New Year's Resolutions for this year is an odd one. It is going to be tough as I'm not sure when or how exactly I will accomplish it. It may seem a little selfish, but actually, it will impact others around me just as much as it will change my world. It is something that, when paid attention to, can increase my productivity, my health, my emotional state and even my bank account.

I am going to sleep more.

Seriously, study after study say if you get eight hours of sleep each night, you will dramatically increase your health, keep weight off, decrease stress -- and all of that adds to more time to spend with family members.

But (and it is a big but), how to get into a healthy, good sleeping habit, especially when my hours are already filled to the point I need to wake up early to accomplish everything? Part of it, the sleep experts say, is getting to sleep at a good time and in a solid sleep-friendly way. A few of their suggestions:

-- Keep the bedroom for sleeping. So often our beds are where we read, watch TV, and work on laptops. Put a stop to doing anything other than sleeping in that bed. By doing this, when you crawl into the bed, it will trigger your body and mind to know that it is time for sleep. 

-- The chill is good for you. If the temperature in your bedroom is too warm, your body has a harder time "knocking into" sleep mode. Set the room's temp to around 68 to 71, and grab a snuggle blanket or two to keep you warm.

-- Have some tricks to ease you into sleep. Counting backwards by threes or fours is one I tell Kiddo to do when she has a hard time, and, would you know, that is what others suggest as well. Focusing on something boring will block out other anxieties or thoughts and allow your mental state to slip into sleep.

Do you get enough sleep? Do you have a hard time falling asleep or staying asleep?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ davincidig

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I always have trouble sleeping .. hence here I am, LOL
Which of ocurse leads to not eniough sleep :(
Will have to give some of these a try :)

wandep
by Pam on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Cool thanks. I always have a hard time sleeping as well.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:13 AM

I wake up several hours in the night. I dont get enough sleep ever

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I sometimes get enough sleep.  Thanks for the tips!

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I wish it was so easy to sleep i am a light sleeper after I have had children and now my 18mth old has started waking at least once a night and requires attention which makes me awake for a few hours afterwards so my rest has been wrecked so to say.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:40 AM

i actually do get enough sleep...now anyway lol. when my son was much younger well..that was a different story.

Beautifulmom513
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I have no problem sleeping when I can. problem is I have a 13 month old that still is waking up several times a night making it hard for me to get much sleep. I probably average only about 4 hours a night unfortunately.

fraujones
by Amanda on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I do not. I'm still BFing at night. I haven't slept an entire night in over two years :/

lasombrs
by Sara on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:29 AM
What's sleep? Maybe when the kids are older :/
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Good ol fashioned loving works for us......Hope you get some sleep.... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)