Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Tips for A Good Night's Rest

Posted by   + Show Post

One of my main New Year's Resolutions for this year is an odd one. It is going to be tough as I'm not sure when or how exactly I will accomplish it. It may seem a little selfish, but actually, it will impact others around me just as much as it will change my world. It is something that, when paid attention to, can increase my productivity, my health, my emotional state and even my bank account.

I am going to sleep more.

Seriously, study after study say if you get eight hours of sleep each night, you will dramatically increase your health, keep weight off, decrease stress -- and all of that adds to more time to spend with family members.

But (and it is a big but), how to get into a healthy, good sleeping habit, especially when my hours are already filled to the point I need to wake up early to accomplish everything? Part of it, the sleep experts say, is getting to sleep at a good time and in a solid sleep-friendly way. A few of their suggestions:

-- Keep the bedroom for sleeping. So often our beds are where we read, watch TV, and work on laptops. Put a stop to doing anything other than sleeping in that bed. By doing this, when you crawl into the bed, it will trigger your body and mind to know that it is time for sleep. 

-- The chill is good for you. If the temperature in your bedroom is too warm, your body has a harder time "knocking into" sleep mode. Set the room's temp to around 68 to 71, and grab a snuggle blanket or two to keep you warm.

-- Have some tricks to ease you into sleep. Counting backwards by threes or fours is one I tell Kiddo to do when she has a hard time, and, would you know, that is what others suggest as well. Focusing on something boring will block out other anxieties or thoughts and allow your mental state to slip into sleep.

Do you get enough sleep? Do you have a hard time falling asleep or staying asleep?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ davincidig

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-32):
bwsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 4:56 AM

I wish i got enough sleep .. granted my children will not always be little .. so for now i do not mind waking up to cuddle or help them fall back asleep .

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 7:47 AM
Husb and I stay up late every night. Idk we say oh I'm going to bed early but nope doesn't happen lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)