Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

swapping funeral stories

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:36 PM
  • 66 Replies

the kids & i went to a funeral today, one of my daughter's old teachers husband passed away christmas nite.  it was a nice catholic service & afterwards there was a reception in the church's banquet hall.  at the reception the ladies at the table we were sitting at were sharing funeral stories.  one of the ladies had never been to anything other than a jewish funeral & she was saying how much different a catholic service was, even the reception was very different.  from there the ladies started talking about the different types of funerals they've been to & some of the "strange" things they've seen at funerals. 

one lady talked about a funeral where there was "shouting" & "speaking in tongues",  being catholic she said it really caught her off guard.  another lady said she was at a funeral where almost everyone in attendance spoke about the deceased, she said it was much longer than the hour & a half funeral we just attended.  anotherlady said she was at a funeral, open casket, where during the service the casket was tilted so that it was standing on end & the lady in the casket was looking out at the people.  the lady said not many stayed for the reception following the service after experiencing such during the service.  i admit i don't think i would have stayed either, that's a little odd even in my book! ;o)

while i know funerals are a somber time.  just like weddings, things do occur, planned or not, that do make some stand out for us.  anyone with stories to share.

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaMandee
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM
My senior year in high school my boy friend & 2 others were killed in a car crash. We lived a few hours apart so I didnt know to many of his friends. Well at the funeral 2 of his scumbag friends hit on me during the service!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shymomof4
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Wow that was messed up of them!

Quoting MamaMandee: My senior year in high school my boy friend & 2 others were killed in a car crash. We lived a few hours apart so I didnt know to many of his friends. Well at the funeral 2 of his scumbag friends hit on me during the service!!!
slw123
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I used to work in a one hour photo lab and I was shocked at the number of people who take pictures of the body at funerals.  =(

shymomof4
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I have been fortunate enough that I haven't had to go to many funerals. I can't really think of anything unusual that happened at the handful I have been to.
MamaMandee
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Yeah I was pissed & went off on them. I told my boyfriend's twin what they did and a fight broke out at the reception. Who does such a slimmy thing?!

Quoting shymomof4: Wow that was messed up of them!

Quoting MamaMandee: My senior year in high school my boy friend & 2 others were killed in a car crash. We lived a few hours apart so I didnt know to many of his friends. Well at the funeral 2 of his scumbag friends hit on me during the service!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shymomof4
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I don't blame you! I would have been pissed too.

Quoting MamaMandee: Yeah I was pissed & went off on them. I told my boyfriend's twin what they did and a fight broke out at the reception. Who does such a slimmy thing?!

Quoting shymomof4: Wow that was messed up of them!

jessica1078
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:07 PM
At the funeral of my 1 month old niece her dad and 3 of his best friends took the shovels from the caretakers who were standing nearby. His reason was that his baby girl was going to be laid to rest by people who loved her not some strangers who were btw acting like jerks- checking their watches, sighing loudly ect
MamaJane
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM
My husband's great uncle's wife does this. My fil is appalled. She's always so prou too and tries to pass the pictures off to him. It's been his dad, his bil, his wife!

Quoting slw123:

I used to work in a one hour photo lab and I was shocked at the number of people who take pictures of the body at funerals.  =(

MamaJane
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:23 PM
I was shocked at first with how my father in law mourns I guess is the word. It's so different from my family their funerals are big with processions and the whole thing. My family mostly has been cremated and we did small celebrate life ceremonies.

He was so mad when his mom died and his dad buried her in the cheapest plot on the cemetery. When his wife suddenly died he just had her out with his mom. It bothered him so much that a month later he bought an above the ground thing. It has her an an empty spot for him. He then had her exhumed. It was so creepy at the time. I didn't get it at all. Then he started tending to the plot. Flowers were planted, a cement stone path was laid. It became clear over the years why he did it. He still goes there daily and its been almost 10 years.
Juniper53098
by June on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I've never been to an out of the ordinary funeral.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)