Group Home

Is this baby name creative? Or ridiculous?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:06 AM
  • 109 Replies

Couple Is Shocked That Everyone Hates Their Baby's Weird Name

posted by Lisa Fogarty 

A couple from Alabama was taken aback when popular news sites and ordinary folk expressed via Twitter that they actually give a hoot about the odd name they chose for their baby boy. Come on, guys, baby names are all the rage and you should know that your choice affects us all, especially when it's a name we aren't used to seeing.

Oh, I kid, I kid. And, honestly, I really like the name they gave their child ... ready for it? Krimson Tyde -- named after the University of Alabama's football team, the Crimson Tide. While I'm not the biggest sports fan in the world and would probably find it harder to swallow if they named their child "Sooners," football aside -- the name is melodic and interesting. I dig it. But my opinion on their name is totally irrelevant. What is important for these parents -- and all parents -- to remember is that we should expect to take a little bit of flak if we give our baby an unusual name. And that's okay. 

Most of us are naturally curious about one another's decisions when it comes to our children. I know when I encounter a baby with an unusual name, whether I love or hate it, I feel just a tiny bit jealous. His or her parents had the courage to defy societal norms and bless their child with a name that a million other kids in her school won't have (can you tell I would have preferred to have a name that wasn't one of the most popular in the late '70s?).

If parents choose to give their kids unique names, they need to be prepared because both they and their children might face more than a few rude questions and taunts as a result. I believe the good outweighs the bad in this case. These children may have to defend themselves early on, but there's nothing wrong with a child learning how to stick up for himself and show the world he is proud of his name.

And the truth is, even if you choose to give your baby a name that isn't Krimson or Blue Ivy, you're going to have to deal with others' annoying opinions. Here are some of the "normal-ish" names I wondered aloud about while pregnant and how people I know actually responded:

Sky - why not name her "Dirt"? What's the difference?
Grace - with your last name, it's going to sound like you gave birth to a nun.
Olive - no one wants to be named after a food, especially a food most people find vile.
Ilsa - you live in America, remember?
Kiera (my daughter's name) - it's supposed to be spelled "Keira." No one is going to know how to pronounce it.

You can't win them all. Just name your baby a name that feels special to you and that you sincerely hope will be special for him or her one day. Then deal with the comments because they aren't going to disappear.

Do you think parents who give their children unusual names should expect criticism from others?

by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:12 AM
I see a lot of random names and truthfully feel bad for them or even funky spellings if normal names. I hated my name Nora growing up because it was different,
When you think about the spelling and spell it different don't get offended when people can't pronounce it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM
Tyde doesn'tsound too odd
Of course they should expect criticism, people have opinions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM

i like krimson but to me it seems more like a girls name than a boys.

it seems that unusual or not people are going to put their two cents in on what you name your child.  it's just the nature of our society today that people feel the need to be involved in others lives whether asked or not. 

many in my family didn't care for my son's name because it "didn't sound right".  it is representative of who he is, who his parents are. like him it's a mash up of his ancestry, ian (from my scottish roots) & jose (from his mexican father).  he loves his name as do we.

we gave our daughter a different spelling for her name, lilyan.  i have family that refuses to spell it the correct way because they like another way better.

proudmommy690
by Christa on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
It's different but definitely not the worst or weirdest name out there.
fraujones
by Amanda on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:14 AM
12 moms liked this

Honestly, it Krimson Tide reminds me of Aunt Flo. 

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM

I can understand being creative-but there is a limit to such things-such as Nevaeh-it's a pretty name...but I know 10 girls that have that name. And most people don't understand it's Heaven spelled backwards.

My name is simple-Kathleen. You can't mispronounce or or mispell it.

My daughter's name is Jeanne (pronounced Gene) many call her Jan/Janine/Janey etc thats why I nicknamed hr Princess-easy to spell and pronounce!

deputygirls28
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:23 AM
My family would dispise that name. We are auburn fans though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:30 AM

yes they should expect criticism and know how to handle it if so

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Quoting fraujones:

baha me too!!

fraujones
by Amanda on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I'm not the only one!

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

Quoting fraujones:

baha me too!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. amyjane22
  2. ceciliam
  3. childofgod04
  4. suziejax
  5. mrswillie
  6. SweetLuci