How do you stop the bad dreams?

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:21 PM
  • 7 Replies
Co is about to be 5. He is a pretty happy kid, no trauma, doesn't watch scary TV or movies. But every night he has bad dreams, and I am getting up to comfort him 5 or 6 times a night. This has been going on for months, but there was no clear start to it that I noticed.

They aren't full nightmares because he wakes up and cries not from the dream but because I'm not there. He knows they are just dreams and isn't waking up screaming or terrified. I just have to go in his room and sit next to him, sing a song, pray with him, etc. I am so tired!

I think he is so worked up and nervous about having bad dreams that he causes them, KWIM? He does have some anxiety but nothing diagnosable. What can I do for him? He used to have a mattress in our room but that didn't change how often the dreams happened or how often I had to wake up with him so we have instead kept him in the room with his brothers and I just go to him. He shares a twin bed with his younger brother but there is still room for me to snuggle with him. I can't sleep there long because that mattress kills me.
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sukainah
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM

I would talk to his pediatrician.  Maybe he is having night terrors, which usually start between the first hour to the 4th hour of sleep.  Maybe look into that and how to stop them if that's what it is.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 7:36 AM
Rub down/massage with lavender lotion, soft classical music for white noise, your sleep shirt on a large plush so he has Mommy scent for comfort and something to cuddle with and a night light.
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Quoting MixedCooke: Rub down/massage with lavender lotion, soft classical music for white noise, your sleep shirt on a large plush so he has Mommy scent for comfort and something to cuddle with and a night light.

i like the shirt idea.  i know some who do that for thier dogs with anxiety issues.  never considered it for children though.  makes sense though.  my kids are always saying they like this or that because it smells like me.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

definitely talk to his dr.  my son was having some issues we couldn't figure out on our own.  his pedi suggested a child psychologist & while i hated the thought of taking him & the cost he really did help my son out.

i have a friend whose daughter started having night terrors a few months ago.  she & her husband tried everything they could think of, everything they read or heard about.  nothing has worked so they are also going they psychologist route to get their little one help.

Quoting sukainah:

I would talk to his pediatrician.  Maybe he is having night terrors, which usually start between the first hour to the 4th hour of sleep.  Maybe look into that and how to stop them if that's what it is.

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Aww, poor baby. I'm sorry. I know how you feel. My oldest son used to have night terrors before. I would comfort him when it happened, didn't know what else to do. It was bad enough that he would have them and even get up and walk around still having them, it was so hard to wake him up from them. They just went away one day though. 

Maybe put a white noise maker or something like that in the room, it might help in calming his dreams. 

sukainah
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:00 AM

I agree.  My DS1 had night terrors when he was a baby and I talked to the pediatrician on what to do and it worked like a charm.

But now he is going through depression and anxiety issues that cause him to be nervous and shy in social situations.  He has no friends and he seems sad a lot.  I knew I had to take him to the psychologist when he started harming himself at the end of 1st grade and we have going every since and I hope it's giving him some ideas on what to do and how to help himself with the anxiety.  I'm working with him too.

It's the best to take your son in and see what is going on. Just my opinion.

Quoting lizzig:

definitely talk to his dr.  my son was having some issues we couldn't figure out on our own.  his pedi suggested a child psychologist & while i hated the thought of taking him & the cost he really did help my son out.

i have a friend whose daughter started having night terrors a few months ago.  she & her husband tried everything they could think of, everything they read or heard about.  nothing has worked so they are also going they psychologist route to get their little one help.

Quoting sukainah:

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:56 PM

First talk with his pedi see what they suggest . I would get him a night light for his room they make neat ones for kids, also get him a lovey some type do toy he can snuggle with and feel comfort from ds has one since birth it's a blanket with a stuffed animal head and arms and it's super soft . Let him pick one out at the store get him something that does soothing music that can help him. Gdlk

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: