Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The smell is just toooo much!

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

Two months ago someone new joined our department. She wears very strong perfume. It is an extremely cloying floral scent that permeates the entire office area. Three of us are allergic to this stuff. The scent is so overpowering it makes our eyes burn and water, although we sit on the other side of a low wall from the woman.

We have each separately asked our manager to address this issue, but he doesn't want to deal with it. He asked our other managers (who all work in a different state!) to speak to her, but they refused.

Last week senior management finally decided to do something. The VP sent an email to our entire team, regarding office etiquette and the use of overpowering personal fragrance. Our coworker didn't think the message applied to her, so she's still stinking up the place.

Is our next step Human Resources? Does HR even handle this kind of situation?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Don't know but worth a shot.
suziejax
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I have no idea.... she sounds clueless?!

Stevensmomma
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Can you just ask her nicely and say you have an allergy to it and you get bad allergy issues all day from it ?

Miss_Metal_Spaz
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM
She probably doesn't think that her perfume smells that strong.
taKENheart
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM

This especially if she seems kind and approachable.

Quoting Stevensmomma:

Can you just ask her nicely and say you have an allergy to it and you get bad allergy issues all day from it ?

alf2651
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I don't know, but it's worth a shot to talk to HR.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

momkaribg
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:32 PM
I am allergic and couldn't have handles that this long. You should address her privately and ask that she tone it down.
ashleymosq
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:32 PM
If you have already tried talking to her about, I would say something to HR. I don't know if that is something they would handle, but it is worth a try.
If you haven't said anything tobher about it, maybe try that before HR.
It could be that she don't realize how strong it is. If she has worn it for a long period of time, she could be used to it so much, the to her it is not that strong.
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:39 PM

have you & the other ladies addressed her directly about it? 

i'm allergic to all perfumes/colognes/etc.  generally what people are wearing doesn't bother me since i'm not in direct contact with it but there have been a few times where i've spoken up to someone about it bothering me.  most people are understanding.  if this lady isn't however address it with hr.

Madelaine
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Yep, Human Resources should take care of it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)