Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cub Scouts/Girl Scouts etc....

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:45 PM
  • 141 Replies
1 mom liked this

My DS1 is in Cub Scouts and this Saturday we are going to the YMCA for a lock-in, meaning we will stay all night.  

They will have swimming and other activities where they can earn more belt loops (like awards), which my son loves and we are really looking forward to it.

They also have a Pinewood Derby race at the end of this month and also are going to be building bird houses to sell at a silent auction to make more money for these awesome activities.

They do things like clean up neighborhoods and go on food drives too.  It's so good for the kids and growing up, learning about the environment and respecting our world and themselves.

Do any of you have kids in the Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts etc...or Girl Scouts?

What kind of activities do they do?

bouncing mom

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like fun. We aren't in the scouts.
suziejax
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

my son when younger used to be in boy scouts

sukainah
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Cool! Did he go on to the Life Scouts and Eagle Scouts?

Quoting suziejax:

taKENheart
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome activities! I bet they love it! 
Mine were never in the scouts.

CalicoMeezer
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
My dh is an Eagle Scout and if we'd had a boy he would have encouraged (not forced) him to go that route.

As it is, we only have our dd, and she is not a Girl Scout. We have our reasons for not allowing dd to join, which dd understands. She does dance, gymnastics (basic tumbling), and spring soccer, as well as church.
suziejax
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

No he was in it when younger more like cub scout  then  a year or two past that.

Quoting sukainah:

Cool! Did he go on to the Life Scouts and Eagle Scouts?

Quoting suziejax:

sukainah
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:54 AM

They are great activities!  And my son just loves it.  My youngest can't wait to become a Scout but he has to wait until he's in 1st and he's only in pre-k LOL

Quoting taKENheart:

Awesome activities! I bet they love it! 
Mine were never in the scouts.

sukainah
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:56 AM

That's cool your DH is an Eagle Scout!  Is he still active with the troops?

Sounds like your DD is very busy with really great activities!  Very good for her! :-)

Quoting CalicoMeezer: My dh is an Eagle Scout and if we'd had a boy he would have encouraged (not forced) him to go that route.

As it is, we only have our dd, and she is not a Girl Scout. We have our reasons for not allowing dd to join, which dd understands. She does dance, gymnastics (basic tumbling), and spring soccer, as well as church.

mom2boys664
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Our two older boys are in Cub Scouts, and the younger one can be a tiger next year.  We love scouts!  We have indoor camping this month, and Pinewood Derby and we go camping about 4 times a year. Last year we went to a baseball game  and afterwards got to camp on the field.  They loved it so much we sent them to scout camp (day camp) for two weeks in the summer where they earned lots of beltloops etc.  One of the best things about it for us is the other parents - we've made a loft of friends!

sukainah
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Oh how fun!  We've never been camping yet as we don't have the equipment or the knowledge, but I think we will try this year.  That's really cool that got to go to the baseball game then camp out on the field!

Yep, the Pinewood Derby is coming up for us this month too!  Have to get to work on the car.  It's cut out, but needs the rest of the work LOL

I've been thinking about those day camps for my son.  I think it would be good for him.  I'll have to look into it more.

And you are right, it's nice to meet the other parents!

My youngest wants to join Cub Scouts but he's only in pre-k, and they can't start until 1st grade, so it will be awhile.  I may start taking him to meetings next year so he can see what they do and get used to it and also learn how to behave at the meetings. lol

Quoting mom2boys664:

Our two older boys are in Cub Scouts, and the younger one can be a tiger next year.  We love scouts!  We have indoor camping this month, and Pinewood Derby and we go camping about 4 times a year. Last year we went to a baseball game  and afterwards got to camp on the field.  They loved it so much we sent them to scout camp (day camp) for two weeks in the summer where they earned lots of beltloops etc.  One of the best things about it for us is the other parents - we've made a loft of friends!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)