Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So thankful to hear the hum of the dishwasher....

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:38 PM
  • 22 Replies

Yesterday was unbelievably cold here.  I don't know that we've had a day that cold in over 10 years.  Well, we tried our best to keep plumbing from freezing, but our dishwasher lines froze.  DH spent the day working on it and after a while, the dishwasher still wouldn't work.  I've been put on light duty by my OB and was seriously bummed at the thought of hand-washing dishes in 15 minute intervals.  However, late last night I tried it again and IT WORKS!!!! When I loaded it again today and it worked again I was sooo thankful.  It really makes you realize what you take for granted!  I've been speaking so very kindly to my dishwasher ever since :)

Have you all had any trouble with frozen plumbing with the cold temps?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Madelaine
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:54 PM

No, but I am in Arizona.  I remember freezing pipes when I was growing up though.

Stevensmomma
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

No thankfully I haven't had any but that's bc all our plumbing is in our basement which is heated to 55 so we were good we went down to a low of 2!!

momofsixangels
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Not here in fl.But did when I was growing up in MN.Hated not having hot showers

taKENheart
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Glad it started working for you ;)
The only thing that has froze is the water line for the water dispenser for the fridge.  It has done it twice.  The first time dh used my hair dryer to thaw it out, lol.

Razzbaby1988
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:29 PM
I'm glad it's working again lol I usually hand wash bit love my dish washer :) it saves time so sometimes when I'm having a lazy day like 40 min before. DH gets home I use it lol
KW1280
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Glad it is working

We didn't have any freezing issues
Farmlady09
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Yup ~ blew a hot water line right off the hwh. Even spewing hot water, it froze into the neatest looking freeform statue lol. The ducks pushed into the little warm box built around it and let all the cold air in. Too bad they didn't plop their warm fluffy butts on the pipes!

jconney80
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:12 PM
So glad it's working again for you! We had -30 temps but no pipe problems thankfully! My hubby is a plumber though!
TigerofMu
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:31 PM

I'm glad your dishwasher works!  I can't wait to have one!  We haven't had frozen pipes here, but at the Haven (food bank) and parsonage. 

mamahufferd
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:36 PM
we have water issues but not to do with frozen pipes, at home anyways. at my work yesterday we had a sprinkler head freeze and bust there was water everywhere! we had like 2-3 inches of standing water inside our lobby area! it was a huge mess!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)