Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

12 Ways to Keep You and Your Family Healthy

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:48 AM
  • 10 Replies

Eat breakfast. The evidence linking a hearty breakfast and a healthy weight keeps getting more convincing: Earlier this year, Israeli scientists put 93 overweight or obese women on a 1,400-calorie-a-day diet and told one group to eat half of those calories at breakfast and the other to eat half at dinner. Those who ate the big breakfasts lost 10 pounds more after 12 weeks than those who ate the big dinners; they also had lower levels of fats in their blood and better blood sugar levels, reducing the risk of heart attack and type 2 diabetes. One study suggests that half-carb, half-protein breakfasts are the most effective for weight loss—think scrambled eggs with a slice of whole wheat toast.

Ease stress with sound. And make it the right kind of sound: In one 2013 study, researchers played either classical choral music, sounds of rippling water, or nothing at all for three groups of subjects before making them speak and do arithmetic in front of an audience. Those who listened to the water before performing stayed the calmest, producing the lowest amount of the stress hormone cortisol, which has been associated with type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Don’t live near a stream? Download a free running water app, such as Fluid Free Live Wallpaper or Koi Pond, on your smartphone.

What things do you do to keep your family healthy ??

http://www.parade.com/200107/melindawennermoyer/12-ways-to-keep-you-and-your-family-healthy/

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momkaribg
by Kari on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Thanks for the tip. I always eat a good breakfast
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Thanks for sharing

slw123
by Shawna on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Breakfast is important because it sets your metabolism up for the day.  If you skip breakfast your body starts to act as if it will be starved for the day and hold onto everything else you eat.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I add veggies when I can.Sometimes I use the veggie noodles and the kids dont even notice

fraujones
by Amanda on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:56 PM

tfs!

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 9, 2014 at 1:43 PM

That's really interesting about using the sound of running water. I wonder if it would make me drink more water, too?

We try to stay active as a family, to limit screen time and be outdoors as much as possible.

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Healthier food choices, exercise, plenty of water and lots of rest.

alf2651
by Amanda on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Thanks for sharing! 

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 3:35 PM

good tips

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Quoting ceciliam:

Healthier food choices, exercise, plenty of water and lots of rest.

i need lots more rest for sure!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN