Smarter Shopping: Help! I'm Buying Sheets! Does Thread Count Matter?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 38 Replies

We need new sheets. Both for my double bed and Kiddo's twin. The ones we have are getting a little, well, worn. But, sheets are one of those extra items, the items that you use the money allotted in the "Miscellaneous" line in your budget to purchase. I always say, "Heather, you need to get some sheets - look for some sales!" and then I find them, but then think, "Oh, but this month, you have to buy five birthday presents and Kiddo needs new shoes!". So, sheets are not purchased.

But now, we are in dire need, friends. So, I'm doing my window shopping and surfing about online to see what is out there. What have I found? Luxury 1200-count Egyptian cotton sheets! Silky 400-count sateen cotton sets! Smooth 800-count Percale sheets!

Yeah, I was confused too, so I looked up what exactly is the meaning of "thread count." Apparently, it's the number of threads per square inch on the sheet. The number includes both threads going horizontally and vertically. But that isn't where the thread count info ends. There is also the "ply" of the sheet, which is how many threads are in a single thread that is counted...some are double-ply, others are single-ply.

So, it seems thread count is important to note, but not something to solely base my purchase on. What else do the bedding experts suggest I consider when sheet shopping? Read on for their advice (and try saying "sheet shopping" five times fast)! 

-- We should be sleeping on 100% cotton sheets, as it is the most "breathable" and much softer than 50% cotton/50% polyester sheets.

-- For soft and a bit of shine to the appearance, opt for sateen sheets. If you like a more crisp feeling in your sheets, choose percale. Pima cotton will be your best bet for durability.

-- Other options are jersey knit, which has a bit of stretch in it and feels like a cotton t-shirt, and flannel, which has a cozier, less smooth feel.

-- Can't decide which sheets to buy? Consider buying a few pillowcases of the different options and try them out. It's an easy, less expensive way to decide which one you like the best before purchasing a whole bedding set.

-- Once you choose your sheets, treat them with care when washing. Fabric softeners, washing in hot water, and drying on high heat all wear down the threads of the fabric and makes the life of your sheets shorter.

What kind of sheets do you have? Do you notice the difference in thread count? When is the last time you bought sheets?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ lroberg                       

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:21 AM

i couldn't honestly tell you what thread count my sheets are. or how to tell the difference. lol

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:31 AM

The higher the thread count, the softer the sheet

Kathy112761
by Kathy on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:45 AM

The higher the thread count the softer and better quality they are. and they will last a lot longer. I usually buy 600 thread count.

childofgod04
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:53 AM
I don't know the thread count on ours as they were a gift but they are so soft so I'm guessing a higher count.
SimplyEnchanted
by Kristin on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:26 AM
This

Quoting .Angelica.:

i couldn't honestly tell you what thread count my sheets are. or how to tell the difference. lol

Jillysmom
by Adele on Jan. 13, 2014 at 3:13 AM
This time of year you should be able to get the winter ones on clearance.
Jillysmom
by Adele on Jan. 13, 2014 at 3:15 AM
Btw, I dint know the tread count but I got some at Kmart.com a couple months ago for $9.99 for a queen size and they were really soft
ScrChk23
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:04 AM

We have two sets of flannel, two sets of cotton, and one set of something else.  The something else are our favorites.  I think they are 800 thread count.  I bought them at a craft fair one year.

bhwrn1
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I have several different kinds. My favorite are our bamboo. They are SO soft! I haven't bought any in a while, we probably should.

askmommy
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 6:38 AM
Flannel in winter. 800+ thread count in summer. We upgraded and it really made a difference!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: