Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raised a baby animal?!

Posted by   + Show Post
Have you or family member ever raised a baby animal?

What was it like? Did you like it? Did it bother you? Would you do it again?
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 4:50 AM
Replies (31-40):
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:31 PM
Kittens with the help of mama cat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
onecuteladybug2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:57 PM
I have. It was a lot of work.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Just a puppy :)

taKENheart
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:19 AM

Bunnies, goats, chickens, puppies, kitties, birds...can't remember anything else.  I wouldn't do bunnies again unless they were for meat.

shymomof4
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:30 AM

No I have not.  My grandmother had a friend that took in baby/sick animals that needed to be taken care of.  I went to her house many times and helped her feed different baby animals.  I am not really an animal person though.  

taniamorse85
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 3:05 AM

My brother and I tried once when I was about 12.  Somehow, a bird's nest in our backyard was destroyed, and the baby that had been in the nest was on the ground, too young to fly.  The mom was nowhere to be found.  So, our mom helped us set up a large box for it.  We were able to determine, with the help of a neighbor, what type of bird it was and how to care for it.  We searched in the yard for worms to feed it, and we traded off nights having the box in our bedrooms.  We probably managed to keep it alive for about 2 weeks.  Then, when we came home one night after a baseball game, we found the little guy dead in the box.  Oh, that was rough!  We did the best we could, but it just wasn't enough.

harmony7
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:35 AM

I raise and show australian shepherds now and if needed will supplement a litter. In the past I had boxers for over twenty five years and my last litter had to be hand raised. 

I have raised orphan or injured puppies and kittens since I was a kid. I also have hand raised two litters of guinea pigs when their mom suddenly died.  

I will always do it if needed. It is hard and exhausting but worth it even when I have lost some that just could not be saved.

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with five still at home
bhwrn1
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Thankfully we had good cages, so the cats and dogs weren't a problem.

Quoting powow65: Yep. Hard work! Every few hours gotta feed it & keep any eye so fellow pet(s) cat or dog doesn't say "hello."
Lol

Quoting bhwrn1:

Yes, birds. It was a lot of work.

MrsRobinson06
by Amy on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:15 AM

When I was a kid, my dad found a newborn kitten that was abandoned and brought it home. We had to bottle feed it. I remember getting up in the middle of the night to take care of it (with my moms help of course). She was one of the best cats we ever had.

CMart305
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:03 AM

possums :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)