Group Home

Smarter Style: How to Make a Room Look Larger

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 45 Replies

No matter whether you live in an expensive city in a tiny apartment, or in a suburb or countryside with a larger home, I think anyone can use a few tips to help make a small room feel larger when decorating or re-styling a living space. For a decade, my husband and I lived in a 300-square-foot studio in New York City (and one year with a sleepless baby too!...) and I picked up some simple, easy tricks along the way to help make that one room feel as big, airy and welcoming as possible.

1) Declutter your room. Either get rid of everything you don't absolutely NEED to have in there, and find another space (or storage unit, like we did.). Or, tuck all the clutter away, out of sight, either in bins under a couch or bed, on shelves neatly organized, or in cabinets or closets behind doors.

2) Add light. Daylight from a window is always best, so remove any window curtains, shades or treatments you don't absolutely need, and keep those windows clean. It's amazing how much brighter and larger a room will look instantly. If you have old, or dark window frames, consider painting them a fresh coat of white or a bright color. It will enhance the light and the view. Using ceiling lights also works well, or, in a pinch, freestanding floor or table lamps. You can also use a combination of all of these light sources too. Bright lampshades and fresh bulbs also go a long way to adding brightness and an airy feeling to any room.

3) Use mirrors and large art. A mirror acts as another window, reflecting the natural light in any room. Hang a large one on a wall next to or opposite your window and you will have double the light instantly, and the illusion of almost double to space. Hanging one or two large pieces of art on the walls also makes them look larger. You don't have to break the bank to do this. Look for posters of your favorite artists at museum stores, or have your kids make some really large art and frame it. Websites like Snapfish.com also print large photo posters for very cheap, which I have used in some rooms. They look great too.

4) Chose your furniture wisely. Go for fewer, larger pieces instead of many smaller ones. For instance, instead of many small coffee tables that collect dust and clutter in a living room, keep just one and get a larger coffee table in the middle of the room. It will center things, eliminate clutter and create more space.

5) Roll on a fresh coat of white paint and consider painting one wall a brighter color (the larger wall works well). This also creates the illusion of more space, and adds light and cheer and a whole new feel to any room.

Do you have any simple space enhancing tips to share?

© iStockphoto.com/iofoto 

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IncognitoOne
by Angela on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't have any to share, but I need them big time, lol. Every room in my house is TINY!

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with lots of light and a light paint color
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM

No, I don't have any to share. We have really high ceilings so our house looks big on the inside. Its very hard to paint as well. :(

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Good to know!

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I definitely think that painting a colorful accent wall and using fewer pieces of furniture helps a lot.

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Mirrors make the rom look larger with light colored paint

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Thanks for the tips.

proudmommy690
by Christa on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Thanks!!
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Mirrors really work, my last home had a whole wall of mirrors and the room looked so much larger

yvonne37
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

shelves seem to me like a good add on to keep the room organized, mirrors are a great idea and so is painting the room the right shade of color.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80