Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 Secrets Never to Keep in a Relationship #8

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:38 PM
  • 9 Replies

By Cari Wira Dineen

“Depression interferes with your ability to engage with others and tune into them,” says Johnson. “It will definitely affect your ability to be a really loving parent or partner. But we’ve found in couples therapy that an important step in coming out of depression is connecting with your partner.” So tell your husband that you’ve been sinking into a bad place, and that you don’t know what to do about it. Share your fear surrounding talking about your feelings—that it’s scary because you don’t want your guy to think less of you or see you as someone who can’t cope. “In the best relationships, people don’t have to be perfect—but they do have to be present,” says Johnson. And that’s hard to do if you’re hiding your feelings of vulnerability. While it’s important to tell your man if you’ve been down in the dumps, it’s vital to seek professional help if the black cloud doesn’t seem to lift on its own. Find a therapist through the American Psychological Association.

Do you or have you ever dealt with depression? 

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
momofsixangels
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I have depression right now.I was diagnosed years ago with clinical depression and put on zoloft

Pammi86
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:33 PM

My dh has but not me personally.

MamaMandee
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Is it helping you?

Quoting momofsixangels:

I have depression right now.I was diagnosed years ago with clinical depression and put on zoloft

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Quoting MamaMandee: Is it helping you?

Quoting momofsixangels:

Not so much anymore

MamaMandee
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Im sorry to hear that. Have you talked to your doctor?

Quoting momofsixangels:

Quoting MamaMandee: Is it helping you?

Quoting momofsixangels:

Not so much anymore

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Yes I had ppd it was no fun
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofnatalie
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Yes, I did in my twenties and went to a therapist for a few years, it really helped.

MrsRobinson06
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I have definately dealt with my fair share of depression. I lost my mom almost 3 years ago and a year after she died I got pregnant with my suprise baby. Having my 3rd baby has helped me to focus on being happy and a renewed sense of being needed which helped pull me out of depression a little bit. My older 2 kids did as well but theres something about a baby. She was meant to be.

fraujones
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Yes, I have dealth with it since I was a preteen. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)