Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Family: New Ideas for Family Reading Time

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 43 Replies

I love books. I've said it, er, typed it here on CafeMom many times. Okay, actually insert whatever a good word is for "much more than many" in there. I've touched on this subject from every possible angle...but a lot of those bits were written before my Kiddo was a reader.

Now, we are a family of three readers (alas, FInners the Beta fish hasn't mastered it yet). Kiddo has to read 30 minutes a day for school. Usually, it happens at night, after dinner and homework, with pajamas on, in her bed, while I do the dishes. It struck me we rarely read together. Reading together, having your kids see you love reading is one of the best ways to build that literacy foundation. With the hectic schedule that is our Life, just like everyone else, it is tough to squeeze in time where we each sit, noses tucked into pages.

So, I'm trying to figure some new-ish ways for us to be a family of readers, thinking of a few "outside the box" ideas to cultivate our love of reading together. 

-- Try new genres. We often each have our own book we are into at the time, usually fiction. I'm reading Allegiant, Kiddo is reading a book from the Catwings series, my husband is reading a historical fiction novel. I'm considering trying out an idea where we all read a non-fiction book or a biography or some poetry. Exploring and then sharing what we discover or a poem that really moves us can spark brand new discussions those fictional tales can't.

-- Read the book, then have a movie night. I know, not many books-turned-into-movies are great, but watching how someone imagined the book and then brought it to life is fun to see...and chatting about how it compares to the movie we each made in our minds while reading it is totally cool too. A few movies we've loved to watch: many of the Dahl books like James and the Giant Peach and Matilda, The Lorax, and Indian in the Cupboard.

-- Attend book events. Head to a book-making workshop at your local art store or listen an author talk at the library. Both are great ways to inspire you and your little ones to think about the tales all of she may want to tell and everyone in the family can find out more about what goes into creating those books you love to read.

Do you read together as a family? What are you reading these days? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ tashka2000

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:18 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:36 AM

We alreadys read together when the kidds were younger,
Favorite time .. they loved it too :)

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:41 AM

We read to the kids every night before bed.  My 3 yr old picks the book and we read it together.  She then likes to "read" on her.  My 1 yr old we read the same book every night because she loves to lift up the flaps to see what is hidden.  I am currently reading about caregiving for stroke survivors since my dad is recovering from a stroke. 

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:36 AM

We do. Well, more like, I read to the kids while DH tries to ignore us, lol.

Right now, Roald Dahl books...The BFG, James and the Giant Peach, Matilda. I've read them all to them about 6 times each, lol. The love them.

Colton's wanting to do Diary of a Whimpy Kid books, so I'll soon be buying those.

wandep
by Pam on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Sometimes we do. My kids are old enough to read by themselves and don't like for us to read with them. DD likes to read to daddy before bedtime.

wandep
by Pam on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

My son loved Diary of a Whimpy Kid. They also have a few movies.

Quoting IncognitoOne:

We do. Well, more like, I read to the kids while DH tries to ignore us, lol.

Right now, Roald Dahl books...The BFG, James and the Giant Peach, Matilda. I've read them all to them about 6 times each, lol. The love them.

Colton's wanting to do Diary of a Whimpy Kid books, so I'll soon be buying those.

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:04 AM

We dont read together as a family but we do read on our own

suziejax
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:26 AM

We used to read together all the time when they where younger. Now they are teens sometimes we do family devotions and read the bible together. My dd is homeschooled so sometimes she reads out loud to us her history and make it a family event

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:40 AM

We like to read book series together... Right now it's The Class from the Black Lagoon. :)

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM

We read tgether sometimes, but usually read alone. We have tons of books to choose from and magazines

Jemia
by Shekella on Jan. 20, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Sometimes the kids and I read together.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)