Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Tips to go from Mom Mode to Date Mode Fast

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies

It's here. It's been planned for weeks now. Date night. (Insert a Wahoo or a Yee-haw or a happy dance - your choice.) You just got home from your daughter's soccer practice, finished up quizzing your son on his spelling words, and you've started dinner for them (frozen pizza, natch). The three year old? She's watching Yo Gabba Gabba. You look at the clock. The sitter and your hubby will be there in 23 minutes.

You are still in mom mode. You need to get into date mode. Fast. What should you do?

-- Put on some tunes. Grab that iPod and put it on in your room as you get ready. Pick out a "chill out" song or a groovy dance song, whatever works for you to shift gears into date mode.

-- Change clothes. I know, maybe you are in your cute cardigan and jeans already, but that's your "mom look." Bump up your "date look" a bit. I'm not talking cocktail dress or three-inch heels, but why not pop on that silky blouse (remember, no one will be spilling on you tonight) and some kitten heels or toss on that cute wrap dress with some tights and your boots.

-- Grab a different purse. You won't need the behemoth that is the tote bag full of small plastic things, wipes, and diapers. Transfer your wallet, a few tissues, and your lip-gloss to a smaller bag. You'd be surprised how this one switch will change your mood.

-- Add some jewelry you never wear. Remember those cute, dangly hoops you haven't worn in ages for fear of some small child's hand grabbing a hold and ripping them off? They would look perfect and provide a bit of oomph to that date night look.

-- Take some deep breaths. Just for 30 seconds, close your eyes and take some deep breaths. Being able to calm yourself and release the day is key to be able to enjoy the fun night ahead with your spouse.

How do you switch from "mom mode" to "date mode"? What did you do on your last date night? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/ kikkerdirk

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:18 AM
For me, changing out of jeans and adding a simple necklace... Plus maybe a little lip gloss!

We have a fun date night coming up to see one of our favorite bands play a show here in town. :-)
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:27 AM
What is a date? lol We do not have a sitter and always take the kids with us lol
Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:30 AM

tyfs, add more makeup, change clothes

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Quoting ablackdolphin: What is a date? lol We do not have a sitter and always take the kids with us lol

usually the same here!

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Lol behemoth bag
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:23 AM

I have a hard time switching out of Mom Mode! 

GypsiSky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I always dress in date mode when I'm with my husband (he does the same) even when the kids are with us. We just enjoy always looking a certain way and even at the park, we do. 

wandep
Please join my group Cleaning the Flylady Way. We'd love to have you! :)
Yesterday at 3:42 PM
by Pam on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:43 AM

We just usually go out to dinner that evening.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Our date nights are so rare, I don't remember the last one. These are good tips, though, especiall the purse thing!

alliesmom112
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM

great tips.

Our last date night was Saturday we went to the Luke Bryan concert,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)