Group Home

Smarter Family: Date Nights at Home

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this

Date nights are so great but for many of us moms, they just don't happen often. Or ever. That's pretty sad I think, so I'm trying to come up with some fun ways to have a date at home with your hubby. It's important for any married couple to be able to reconnect without kids, regularly, and enjoy some real adult time together too.

1) Obviously, you need to deal with the kids first. Now that my child is five, we can just wait till she's asleep which is usually at a reasonable hour (and before my husband's even from work!) and enjoy dinner alone then. If the timing doesn't work for you, consider asking a neighbor if you can drop your kids with them for just two hours one weekend evening, and return the favor some other night for them. Maybe the kids can go watch a movie with some pop-corn and be really happy to leave you alone for a little while. If not, just make your dinner be really late with your husband. All kids sleep at some point!

2) Make it special. Think of the best times you've had with your husband in the past, maybe before you became parents and were more carefree, and use them as inspiration for your menu and evening. You can even pull out an old photo, or your wedding meal menu, and put them on the table as a reminder of old times and first falling in love.

3) Set a relaxing, romantic or fun mood. Use music you both like, candles, favorite food items or treats and some special table decorations to make your dinner together at home feel like you're getting away from your usual day-to-day, and celebrating your time together. It's amazing what just a few little changes can do to alter a mood and experience, even in a usual place. Moving your table to a new spot, like the middle of your living room or by the fireplace, works well. In warmer weather, picnic outside in a garden or on a terrace if you can. Use a small coffee table or side table instead of your usual larger dining table to make your meal feel more intimate, special and different. You can even sit on the floor on some cushions, or a rug. Hanging lights and lanterns or a vase with some branches or flower always looks great too.

You can surprise your husband even more by dressing up really nicely, getting a few balloons and even a card. I am sure that he will be delighted and thankful for all your efforts and it will be an evening you'll both remember for a long time. Having date nights at home can be even more fun, in some ways, than going out, because you get to chose how every aspect will look and taste and you can enjoy these moment together so much more frequently. Life and marriage are happier, more exciting and rewarding when we take the time to enjoy them as much as possble, however we can.

Do you have any ideas for making a date night at home feel special?

© iStockphoto.com/ AndreyPopov

by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Juniper53098
by June on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I once did a scavenger hunt for my ex husband for a date night.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this
That us a tough one as we are always in the middle of bath time then bedtime and dd doesnt usually go dow until 10 or later. maybe a breakfast date
wandep
by Pam on Jan. 24, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Not really.

Alexsi1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:12 AM
2 moms liked this

We have started doing a game night after we put our DS to bed. Usually we do this on Friday nights.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM

We dont do ate nights

nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:05 AM
3 moms liked this

we have late movie nights in bed sometimes =) we bring in snacks and wine and just chill together after the kids are asleep 

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:47 AM
2 moms liked this
This is a nice idea... I did invite my husband to come out and ice skate with me after bedtime the other night, but a romantic date would be a nice change of pace too.
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

It's easier now than it was when my first few were little....Now I just call their Aunt or cousin and ask if they would keep them overnight...And the teens just disappear...

Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM
2 moms liked this
All kids sleep at some point lol
we would get a fire going in the fireplace and snuggle w a movie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Staying awake is the biggest part of the battle lately :) But always worth it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. aneela
  2. Vertical15
  3. mrswillie
  4. ceciliam
  5. deccaf
  6. SweetLuci