Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't understand that school...

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:25 AM
  • 14 Replies
Where I live it hardly ever gets below freezing. They don't sell snow tires here. People here don't know how to drive on icy roads.
Most of the schools are my area are either closed or delayed for 2 hours. My daughter's school is not closed and not delayed.
I don't understand how they would be so willing to people the students' lives at risk.
My daughter is currently snuggled up on her bed watching netflix with her sister. I was going to send her because she really wanted to go. My mom took her down to the bus and called me and told me there was ice falling on her windshield. I didn't want to send her in the first place and that confirmed for me that she was not going.
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jules_
by Julie on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:38 AM
It is -10 degrees here. Our school never closes though even when all the schools around us do.
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM

It was in the single digit and negative weather here in December but they still had school. Here in Oregon though they don't cancel for much

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Some times bad calls are made.

One of our snow days that were used this year, was when snow wasn't even predicted to start until after school hours. Technically they could have safely had a half day. Then when they should have canceled school, they didn't and it was bitter cold and the roads were just sheets of ice....buses had to pull over and wait for the salt trucks. And finally this past Tuesday they decided on a half day even though snow was expected to start at the beginning of the school day (which it did) and be blizzard like conditions (which it was)....that day I went and got my son early and the roads were already treacherous. Just bad calls. :(

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:51 PM

That's messed up....I'm glad your little one is snuggled and safe....

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 24, 2014 at 4:17 PM
I think it's a tough call sometimes... Is it a new superintendent? It's good that you're able to keep your DD safe at home today.
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 24, 2014 at 4:42 PM

When I was growing up in Mn I remember walking to school when it was below zero

deedee3849
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 6:28 PM

It's been closed here for the cold and it's suppose to be colder next week.....I'm getting kinda tired of all the snow days.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Jan. 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM
What's a snow tire? Do you mean like the chains? We don't do any of that either. I think they only do chains in mountain areas. Anyway off subject lol.

Glad she's snuggled up with you:)
.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:58 AM

our schools close if there is snow or ice on the road and isn't expected to warm up by mid morning.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jan. 25, 2014 at 7:23 PM
Snow tires are tries with metal spikes. I had a set back in Oregon.

Quoting MamaJane: What's a snow tire? Do you mean like the chains? We don't do any of that either. I think they only do chains in mountain areas. Anyway off subject lol.

Glad she's snuggled up with you:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)