Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter You: Time Management Tips

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies

Practicing good time management is not easy for me, but I think it's really important for any mom to master. Though I'm really great at multi-tasking and meeting deadlines, I'm really bad at managing my non-work time. I'm the kind of person who is always a little late getting places, even though I'm constantly pressing to be on time. How does that happen? Poor time management. But I've picked up some easy tips recently to help make things easier and run more smoothly, and make better use of all the time each day offers so that life can become a little more fun, less rushed and better managed.

First, get organized and plan ahead. If getting out the door every morning is a struggle for your family as it is for mine, rethink how you get ready the night before or on the weekends, and plan ahead to make it easier and faster however you can. Keep your keys and coats in the same place to find them fast. Set your alarms earlier, set your coffee machine up the night before, prepack any lunch and snack foods you can, set out outfits the night before, hire a dog walker for extra busy days, etc. There are a million things that can hold you up, but the more you plan ahead, when you are NOT rushed, the easier it will be to stay calm and be on time in the morning. Same goes for getting to appointments or sports events or work.

Second, make a schedule and stick to it. For instance, if you have lots of free time one day or over a weekend during which you want to get a LOT done, make a list of realistic priorities and set a timeframe to work on each one. When I do this, I often see right away that I am trying to cram way more than possible into each day. So I need to take 5 minutes to slooow down and pick a few things that I CAN do, sticking to schedule, and do them right, without rushing through them. The rest will just have to wait. Rushing around trying to do it all, all the time, leads to nothing more than bad time management, stress, exhaustion and lack of efficiency.

Lastly, cut the clutter out of your schedule and TO DO list. Like editing any piece of writing, if you just sit down and think hard about how you can simplify and reduce you will instantly have less to worry about, and manage, and more time to focus on what really matters. Like enjoying your family, and maybe more reading and play time together, or time for hobbies your love. Basically, having time for a little more fun each day. To me, that shows a real mastery of time management, and that's one of my new personal goals this year (and my favorite!).

Do you have any easy time management tips for busy moms?

© iStockphoto.com/dsafanda

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Make lists,
They are always very helpful :)

wandep
by Pam on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Have a planner so you won't forget everything. :)

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Planning ahead, staying organized, always put things in the same place, get things ready the night before, have a meal plan.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hugss:

Make lists,
They are always very helpful :)

Yep. Lists always help me

decor42
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you COMPLETELY. I may not always have the meal planned but we most likely have leftovers and I can whip up a complete nutritious meal in about a half an hour to 45 minutes. I also feel that lists and organizers are a waste of time.  By the time you get them filled in the tasks could have been done.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Planning ahead, staying organized, always put things in the same place, get things ready the night before, have a meal plan.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:53 AM
3 moms liked this
I have to make lists of things or I will forget & end up behind on everything.
Alexsi1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I make a list and write things down on a calender

fraujones
by Amanda on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Do as much as you can the night before. Morning madness is the worst. 

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Plan. I am a very scheduled person so that normally keeps me right where I need to be.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Having lists and an organized plan is a big time saver for me. Only takes a few minutes a week to make out a menu. No standing in front of the refrigerator and wondering what to have, or finding something in the back of the refrigerator that I forgot was there. Of course you have to also have flexability, like when plans change, and I plan for leftovers. It's a big money saver, too.

Quoting decor42:

I agree with you COMPLETELY. I may not always have the meal planned but we most likely have leftovers and I can whip up a complete nutritious meal in about a half an hour to 45 minutes. I also feel that lists and organizers are a waste of time.  By the time you get them filled in the tasks could have been done.

Quoting SweetLuci:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN