Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Style: Color Combos I Need to Remember

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies

Two words for you: Radiant Orchid. No, this isn't what my dad is eyeing for his garden this summer, nor is it my nail polish color (nail polishes have the funniest names, don't they? Ah, a topic for another time). 

Radiant Orchid is the color for 2014, as selected by Pantone. Yes, they select it every year (2004 was Tiger Lily, an orange hue, while 2008 was a deep, magical blue called Blue Iris). I've seen articles on how to "Wear the radiant color of the year!"  and they always make me giggle. You see, I'm not a color-wearer. I have, perhaps, five articles of clothing that are some other color besides gray, white, and black. Those colors: navy, beige, and one olive green t-shirt.

I just don't do color very often. When I do, I get tons of compliments...yeah, I know, that should be a sign. The thing is, I'm not good with mixing and matching colors (other than with the blue of my jeans, of course). I can do monochrome quite easily. But, I'm thinking I could learn and stock up with a few wardrobe staples to mix and match with the neutrals I already have. When I flip through magazines or spot ladies walking out and about with some awesome color combo, I think "I need to remember that duo of hues!" But, I never do.

Now, I may not run out to snag a sweater in Radiant Orchid, but I do know that it would rock with a light grey pencil skirt. What are other pairings?

-- Charcoal gray and dark tan

-- Beige and cream

-- Aqua/turquoise blue and pewter grey

-- Navy and white

-- Rich coral and light turquoise

-- Deep turquoise/blue-green and light tan or grey

-- Light blue and red

-- Emerald green and turquoise

-- Light blue and medium brown

Another fashion hint I've spotted that really looks great - picking a shirt or top just one or two shades lighter on the color wheel than your bottom. Like a blouse that is a light-ish sky blue, paired with cute ankle jeans in that royal blue color. Similar to the monochrome that I adore, yet with a twist.  

What are your favorite color combos?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/Baloncici 

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:25 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:26 AM

greys, blacks & burgandy :)

ScrChk23
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Black, blues, greens

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:22 AM

black, gray or white with comething colorful, especially red, turquoise or lime green (one at a time) lol.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:30 AM

I love grey with pink

decor42
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:45 AM

I am very similar to you Heather.  Gray, black, white are my safe colors while dark plum, turquoise, gold and deep blue are my most often chosen accent colors.  Even if I wear something with colors other than my norm I still pair it up/layer with a jacket and/or scarf that has my "comfortable" colors.  Jewelry and accessories are usually coordinating with the out of my norm color that I may be wearing. As an Interior Decorator I have no problem with colors or patterns,  yet----- I still play it safe in my home using neutrals on the walls and pops of color in my accessories allthough my choice of accent colors in my home are much different than my clothing color.

momma-flynn
by Greta on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:02 AM
I love navy/white & coral/turquoise
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Good article, I love navy blue black and white, emerald green black and white, black and gold
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Amanda on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:20 AM

I love lavendar and grey together or green with brown. 

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:21 AM

TFS

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Nice combos!  I love anything with pink!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)