Group Home

Smarter Celebrations: Touchdown-Worthy Appetizers for Your Super Bowl Party

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies

If your New Year's diet plan hasn't already been derailed, I'm predicting the upcoming weekend festivities may just be what intercepts any chance of tackling those extra pounds. Note how I used intercepts and tackle...you guessed it, it's a nod to football. Super Bowl XLVIII (that's 48) kicks off at 6:30 pm this Sunday, friends. 

I've hosted a few Super Bowl gatherings in my day and attended even more. No matter the size of the crowd or the teams that are playing, one thing is a constant at a Super Bowl party: there will be chips. Tortilla, flavored, regular ol' potato. Yes, chips in a bag or a bowl will be served.

Now, I don't have anything against chips. I love them...really, I do. But instead of just serving a trough of chips and dips this year, I'm thinking of doing something different. Right, we all know I'm not a great cook, so this something different needs to be really easy to make. Let's do it shall we? Let's all step outside our appetizer comfort zone. No one will shout, "Out of bounds!"...they will say, "Delicious!"

Bacon Wrapped Lil' Smokies from MommySavers.com

What you need:

1 package of bacon, any brand and flavor

1 package of Lil' Smokies, any variety (I used the turkey variety)

Brown Sugar

What you do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take bacon out of the package and cut into thirds. I Drain them and them let them sit on paper towel to dry. Wrap each Lil' Smokie with one piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick and lay on cookie sheet. (If you don't want to secure them with toothpicks just make sure to lay them seam side down on cookie sheet). Sprinkle all of the Lil' Smokies with brown sugar. You can use as much brown sugar as you want. The more brown sugar you use, the more they caramelize. Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes. Serve with any type of dipping sauce or sauces that you like.

Mini Muffin Pizzas from EisforEat.com

What you need:

16 ounce package store-bought pizza dough

8-12 ounces pizza sauce

8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 24 slices

1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

pizza toppings of your choice

Italian seasoning 

What you do:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray cavities of a muffin pan with cooking spray. Remove pizza dough from packaging and allow it to come to room temperature on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin or your hands, roll out into a thin layer. Using either a round cookie cutter, an egg fry ring, or even an empty can, cut rounds out of the dough. Using your fingers, stretch the dough without tearing and press into muffin cups. Next, assemble pizzas. I like to put a small slice of fresh mozzarella in first to prevent crust from getting soggy. Top with 1-2 tablespoons of pizza sauce, another small slice of mozzarella, and some Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with a little Italian seasoning and add your favorite pizza toppings. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melty and bubbly.

Mini Reubens by ALittleClaireification.com

What you need:

6 slices thinly sliced Rye Pumpernickel Swirl Bread (or deli rye)

1 cup Thousand Island Dressing

1/2 lb. thinly sliced corned beef

1 cup sauerkraut, drained & patted dry

1/2 lb. sliced Swiss Cheese, cut into rectangles

What you do:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the crusts off of the bread slices (each slice yields 4 appetizers). Cut each slice into 4 rectangles. Place the rectangles of bread onto a baking sheet about a half an inch apart. Place in the oven for 3 minutes to lightly toast and remove from the oven. Turn the oven onto Broil. Top each bread rectangle with a spoonful or two of the dressing and spread to coat. Cut rectangles out of the corned beef or tear into strips, and layer a slice onto each prepared rectangle. Add a spoonful of the sauerkraut on top of the beef. Last, add a Swiss cheese rectangle on top. Place the layered mini Reubens onto a baking sheet with a half-inch in between each. Broil for 1-2 minutes or just until the cheese is melted.

Cheese-Stuffed Tomatoes by MomWhatsForDinner.com

What you need:

24 cherry tomatoes

4 oz cream cheese

1 Tbsp basil

1 tsp chives

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper 

What you do:
Cut the tops of the cherry tomatoes off and take out about 1/2 the insides. You may have to cut a little off the bottom of them to get them to stand up. If they stand up on their own it is a plus. In a mixer add cream cheese, basil, chives, salt and pepper. Mix until thoroughly blended and smooth. Pipe the cream cheese mixture into the hollowed out tomatoes. Garnish with chives and basil.

Easy Meatballs from GimmeSomeOven.com

What you need:

1.5 lb. ground beef or pork

1/2 cup breadcrumbs

1/2 cup finely-diced white onion

1/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese

1/2 tsp. dried thyme

1/4 tsp. dried oregano

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. black pepper

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 eggs

1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes (I prefer fire-roasted)

1 tsp. smoked paprika

chopped fresh basil or parsley for garnish

What you do:
Combine the beef (or pork), breadcrumbs, onion, Parmesan, garlic, eggs, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Use a potato masher or your hands to combine the mixture until evenly-mixed. Use a small scoop or a spoon to measure out a rounded tablespoon-full of the mixture, and then roll it into a ball. Set aside. Repeat with the remainder of the mixture and set aside. Stir together the crushed tomatoes and smoked paprika in the bowl of the slow cooker. Add the meatballs in a single layer, coating with the sauce. Cover and cook on low until meatballs are tender, about 4-6 hours.

Let's go: share your best appetizer recipes! 

ŠiStockphoto.com/Marekuliasz 

by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Tuesday at 11:12 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:09 AM

These sound very yummy :)

mamivon2
by Sandra on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:15 AM

sounds yummy :)

wandep
I luv Disney :)
Yesterday at 1:30 PM
by Pam on Jan. 28, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Sounds great.

Our basic appetizers are cheese and pickles on toothpicks. Taco salad pizza. 

Hannahsmommy816
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 7:57 AM
All sound good! I like lil smokies wrapped in dough
momma-flynn
by Greta on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:15 AM
I make the bacon wrapped little smokies & they are always a winner. I can't show up without them anymore.
mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Sounds yummy. We're not doing anything for the Superbowl since we don't have cable.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Thanks for sharing

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Those bacon wrapped smokies are to die for... I like to make them for basketball, though, since we aren't football fans. :-)
EbonySnow
by Desiree on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM

I'm simple i just like cheese and crackers lol

fraujones
by Amanda on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Bruschetta with Gorgonzola Cheese and Honey
155 Reviews 

Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
SHOW:
Everyday Italian
EPISODE:
Afternoon Dessert

Total Time:
35 min
Prep:
10 min
Inactive:
10 min
Cook:
15 min
Yield:6 servings
Level:Easy
CATEGORIES 
Blue Cheese Dessert Bruschetta
Ingredients
36 slices (1/2-inch thick) baguette bread, about 1 loaf
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces Gorgonzola, sliced
3 tablespoons honey
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Arrange the sliced baguette on a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil. Bake until the bread is pale golden and crisp, about 10 minutes.

Arrange the cheese on the toasts and bake until the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.

Drizzle the toasts with honey. Place on a serving platter and serve immediately.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/bruschetta-with-gorgonzola-cheese-and-honey-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. SweetLuci
  2. deccaf
  3. Charizma77
  4. Jules_
  5. ceciliam
  6. mom2jessnky