Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smarter Shopping: Best Bags for Busy Moms

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 46 Replies

Bags might just be the most useful and important accessory to a mom, I think, especially city moms who don't have cars. Personally, I spend most of my life walking around town with various bags filled with stuff, from groceries to dog food, library books to ice skates and baby wipes. Some items all moms need to carry, always, like a wallet and ID, a phone, inhalers or epi-pens or other emergency medicine, and if you're like me, emergency sweet treats too. Between all that and your keys, and pushing strollers or carrying / dragging your kids and pets and gear like bikes or scooters around, all hands are full to the max all the time. And this is where the importance of THE BAG really comes in. Without the right bags, a mom is lost.

I have found that having several different kinds and sizes of bags at your disposal at all times is hugely helpful. I always have several very large, very study, cheap bags by our front door, in my bike basket, and even in my car. I use these almost daily for grocery shopping (this saves time and the environment, in a huge way), and for lugging around larger and / or heavier items like books, groceries and kid's gear like soccer balls or sand toys. These bag are also great for picnics and BBQs, beach days and so much more. I love the Ikea ones for $0.59 here http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/17228340/

And the nicer looking ones I got for very cheap at the checkout counters at Home Goods and Whole Foods. They last forever!

As far as personal purses or bags, the ones we ALWAYS need, with our wallets and keys, I find that a small one that just holds the essentials and has a long strap works really well, like any of these great "mini bags" from LeSportSac https://www.lesportsac.com/style/mini-bags which come in so many shapes and really cool patterns and amazingly durable fabrics (including slivery faux snake skin!) Many moms I know also love their "bucket bags" like these http://www1.macys.com/shop/search?keyword=bucket+bag, which can hold a whole lot, like a bucket, but looks way more stylish. These work best if you keep your important items organized like on a key chain or snacks in a large clear Ziploc, or in designated, pretty and reusable food saver bags like these LunchSkins  http://www.amazon.com/LunchSkins-Reusable-Sandwich-Snack-Bags/dp/B004K1SR9Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1390752963&sr=8-6&keywords=fabric+food+storage+bags, so they don't get lost in the mess of the bucket.

What kind of bags do you think are best for busy moms?

© iStockphoto.com/Roxana_ro

by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I have to have a few pockets when I go into a store though I usually just take my wallet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this
A leather satchel type, its roomy for everything but still attractive to carry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Juniper53098
by June on Jan. 29, 2014 at 6:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I just need basic bags.  I just want them strong instead of the flimsy ones that I end up with somehow....  (No, I haven't purchased any flimsy ones.)

Mznaye
by Jo on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Tfs
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this

A big bag with a lot of pockets that zip

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I like one with lots of pockets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Pam on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Me too. :)

Quoting mrswillie: I like one with lots of pockets.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

thirty one has great bags for everything!

Alexsi1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Right now I have a diaper bag (although he is for the most part potty trained...I keep and extra change of clothes available just in case) in addition to my purse. I am looking at this purse on 31 Gifts:

I've seen it in person and it's plenty large to hold a change of clothes as well as my other normal purse stuff. 2 for 1 right :) 

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

i don't like carring bags so i try to go with the smallest one i can get away with.  didn't even carry one before i had kids

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)