Group Home

Braces

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:01 PM
  • 35 Replies

Mobile Photo

My little guy just got braces. He's 8. He has a pretty bad underbite and extreme crowding in his mouth. They put in a Herbst device to pull his jaw forward so the bone will grow in the right position and phase 1 braces to make room in his mouth for the rest of his teeth.

He's had them since Thursday and he's doing pretty good.
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slw123
by Shawna on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Mobile Photo

This is his before picture. Take note of his jaw and chin position.
slw123
by Shawna on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Mobile Photo

This is immediately after installation.
Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Hope it helps!

slw123
by Shawna on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Mobile Photo

You would have loved this one if I could have captured it. It was while they had that thing in his mouth that holds the lips out of the way so all the teeth are exposed. He looked like that alien from Predator. He would not let me take a picture, lol.
TristanMitchael
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Wow! The difference is amazing!

My niece needs braces but their insurance doesn't cover it because its "cosmetic". But she NEEDS them because there isn't enough space for her other teeth to come in.
sunshinepraying
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Wow. Looks like it'll really help :) Glad he's doing well with them

slw123
by Shawna on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Quoting TristanMitchael: Wow! The difference is amazing!

My niece needs braces but their insurance doesn't cover it because its "cosmetic". But she NEEDS them because there isn't enough space for her other teeth to come in.

We changed our dental plan during open enrollment to get a dental plan that would pay for some orthodontics.  I have two kids at that age.  My son's was more important than my daughter, she can wait until she's 13 or so.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Dd had to get a jaw realignment device when she was 7.  Her lower jaw protruded awfully and forced all her upper teeth inward.  There were metal posts in her mouth and then this awful "Charlie in the chocolate factory"esque device that she had to wear at night.  (Thankfully not in daylight).  We did that for 2 years.  Got it off.  And then had to have it put back on 6 months later.  She had a huge growth spurt and her jaw went out of whack again.  Two more years of that.

THEN we had braces!!  

Grand total: just over $30,000.  

Portion insurance covered: $1000.  Gee thx.

slw123
by Shawna on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Quoting chicken13:

Dd had to get a jaw realignment device when she was 7.  Her lower jaw protruded awfully and forced all her upper teeth inward.  There were metal posts in her mouth and then this awful "Charlie in the chocolate factory"esque device that she had to wear at night.  (Thankfully not in daylight).  We did that for 2 years.  Got it off.  And then had to have it put back on 6 months later.  She had a huge growth spurt and her jaw went out of whack again.  Two more years of that.

THEN we had braces!!  

Grand total: just over $30,000.  

Portion insurance covered: $1000.  Gee thx.

That's crazy!  I hope that isn't how it happens for us  =( 

We realize that he may need braces again, but that his need for them won't be as urgent as it could be because of what they are doing right now.  Our insurance only covers $1500 of all of this.

Stevensmomma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Wow you can already see the difference !!! 

I had braces as a teen and boy I wish I had them younger bc I had it from 18-23 and it was not fun I will start my kids young too so they don't have to go through what I did. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. egyptian_mommy
  2. SweetLuci
  3. BeachLifeMama
  4. proudmommy690
  5. Janet
  6. jconney80