Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Three males living together 'adopt' 20

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:23 AM
  • 47 Replies
1 mom liked this
Okay kind of, anyway. I have 3 male fish. 2 tetras and a Molly. Petco swore they we're male. Yet today, in a 2.5 gallon tank, there are now 3 large fish and about 20 babies. So since they are all make, there must be a fishy adoption service that snuck in and delivered these bundles of joy.
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Christa on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:19 AM
Lol!!
saraface5383
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol I had the same thing happen. We have Molly's. Omg one day my son was like the babies are so cute and I was like yea, because we only had them 3 days I figured since they were little fish he was talking about them. No, he was talking about the 25 babies that were swimming around. Gah!
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:41 AM

Awww...I love the baby fish.  I had that happen once too.

bether89
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 1:43 AM

Maybe you should called Petconand tell them your "male" fish just had babies.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:36 AM

Oh no....Never had that happen...That would be cool....

mommy2zbg
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 6:55 AM

haha I think Petco lied to you...

Congrats on the baby fishies :)

Juniper53098
by June on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:01 AM

LOL

PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:05 AM

It's a miracle!

mcginnisc
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:09 AM
The Molly had babies since they are live bearers..Tetras are egg layers.
What size tank do you have? I ask because Tetras are schooling fish and need at least 3-5 in order to form a school. The Molly will be fine as a single.
Here is how to determine gender on a live bearer: If the bottom rear fin is round it is female..If the bottom rear fin is straight it is a male. Obviously, that person either should not be working in their fish department or they just snagged the wrong one when going for a male.
You need to have tons of plants or you need a breeding net or the babies will get eaten by the Tetras and anyone else in the tank...especially Algae Eaters.
deccaf
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:37 AM
They look like the tetras. We started with 5 and lost 3. The Molly replaced. Those 3. It's very possible the babies were eggs. We didn't see where they came from. Petco keeps the fish separated by gender. There was a mistake made there. I wonder if I can take the babies there since my little tank is way to small for so many fish.

Quoting mcginnisc: The Molly had babies since they are live bearers..Tetras are egg layers.
What size tank do you have? I ask because Tetras are schooling fish and need at least 3-5 in order to form a school. The Molly will be fine as a single.
Here is how to determine gender on a live bearer: If the bottom rear fin is round it is female..If the bottom rear fin is straight it is a male. Obviously, that person either should not be working in their fish department or they just snagged the wrong one when going for a male.
You need to have tons of plants or you need a breeding net or the babies will get eaten by the Tetras and anyone else in the tank...especially Algae Eaters.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN