Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CVS stops selling all tobacco products - thoughts?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:22 AM
  • 10 Replies

CVS To Stop Selling Tobacco, Sacrificing $2 Billion In Sales For Public Health And Future Growth

CVS, the largest pharmacy chain in the United States, will stop selling cigarettes and other tobacco products in all of its 7,600 stores by October 1, its parent company CVS Caremark announced this morning. It is the first time any retailer has ever dropped this deadly cash cow, and it is part of a major shift in direction for the drugstore giant.

“We’ve got 26,000 pharmacists and nurse practitioners who are helping millions of patients each and every day,” said Larry Merlo, the chief executive of CVS Caremark. “They manage conditions like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes — all conditions that are worsened by smoking. We’ve come to the decision that cigarettes have no place in an environment where healthcare is being delivered.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2014/02/05/cvs-to-stop-selling-tobacco-sacrificing-2-billion-in-sales-for-public-health-and-future-growth/

What do you think?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSusieQ045
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:24 AM
I just saw this on the today show..

Not sure how I feel. I mean the fact that sick people shop there seems like a silly reason to stop selling tobacco products (that's pretty much what was said on the today show)
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:30 AM
Good for them that is awesome!!!!!
momofsixangels
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:07 AM

I give them applause.I watched my fil suffer for 5 months dying from lung cancer

psych_mom
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:24 AM
I think this is a good move. You can't help people be well when you're also handing them the tools that they use to hurt themselves with. Yes, I know they will get them elsewhere, just like people that can't use tobacco products on a health care campus will go elsewhere to us them, but at least they are no longer helping contribute to the problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Fine by me, it's not like there isn't 7 million other places to get that garbage from. Of course someone is going to get their panties twisted over this and freak out, but that happens with anything.

KelliansMom
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:29 AM
It's okay with me. If someone wants to smoke they will find a way to get them even if cvs stop selling them.
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:40 AM
It's no skin off my back. Personally I think that cigarettes are terrible, but my husband smokes them. It makes me sad but I can't force him to change.
He didn't get his cigarettes there but if he did, Walgreens sells them, Walmart sells them, the gas stations sell them.
I think it's terrible that anyone smokes at all. But they wont stop anyone from smoking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blue_lagoon
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Good for them!

deccaf
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Good for them.  Their store, their choice.  However, it is still a bit hypocritical.  Saying you are stopping the sale of tobacco because it is a "Health store (pharmacy)"  means they should stop selling the alcohol, the candy and all the other stuff doctors tell us to stay away from.

Pammi86
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Good for them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)