Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What was your first job and...

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:20 PM
  • 27 Replies
Do you feel it helped prepare you for where you are now?

I will post mine and what I think in a little bit, I just wanted to ask this question while I still remembered. I only have a couple minutes left of my son's school break.
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:23 PM

I babysat and it has helped me since I have 6 children. My next job was working at a bakery and I love to bake

Juniper53098
by June on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:29 PM

If you count babysitting as my 1st job, then definitely, since I have a daycare business.  My 1st official job was at McDonalds and no, it did nothing to prepare me for now.

Mom2Boys9501
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:32 PM

My first job was in the dishroom of a buffet type restaurant. I worked there for 8 years and went from dishroom, to cook, to fryer, to desserts (out front) to busser, to running the food lines, to manager, even ran the register when the cashier needed a break. Also was taught to run the computer and how to do inventory and orders. 

I'm a sahm now but yes I think it helped me because now I know how to run the every day in and outs of a home.

MamaJane
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 7:59 PM
My first job was as a cashier and stocker at big lots. I learned a ton about organization, costumer service, work ethic, handling money. I worked there for 2 years.
taKENheart
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I worked at 13 in a skating rink and then in the summer at their pool.  I wouldn't say it prepared me for where I am now.  I'm sure it taught me responsibility.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Started waitressing at a truck stop diner when I was 13.

it definately helped toughen me up! 

psych_mom
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I was a waitress. It didn't prepare me for much of anything except to be a better tipper.

MamaMandee
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:07 PM
I was a motel maid & I guess cuz I often feel like one here lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Full time job?  Odds and ends job?  Career job?

I house/yard/pet sat for people around my neighborhood and subbed on my friend's brother's paper route when I was a kid.  I also babysat alot as a teen.

I worked as a lifeguard and swimming teacher for about ten years through high school and college, and also washed dishes at severa restaurants along the way, in addition to working as a Substitute Teacher. 

My first full time teaching position was Kindergarten, and I loved it.  I taught K for 5 years before moving back to Wyoming.

I think each of these jobs prepared me in different ways and I learned a lot of important skills and a good work ethic.

squeekers
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:20 PM

first job w/o a pay check was as a candy striper at the local convolescent house.

first job w/ pay check was at Mc Donald's as a fry girl.

neither helped me where I am, but i do know fast food workers are not simple dead end 'want fries with that?" kind of people.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)