Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mail man is retirering and I need to get a gift.

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:37 PM
  • 16 Replies

He is a great mail man.  The best, tops.  I know he lives on a local lake that is a sportsman's paradise.  His first day, nothing, nada, zip.  The next day, not so much.......  He jokes that I am the only woman in the USA still buying things.  I am an economic factor nobody thought about.  I was scratch poor growing up, saved, frugal to the max and now it is all gravy.   

I am going to find out more by sniffing out some more clues about what he likes and get some info on his hobbies.  It sounds weird, but he is a great mail man, he will bring me my medication by mail and he will find me and wait for me to sign for my medication, when he knows I am very ill.  That is above and beyond dropping the mail in a plastic box at the end of the walkway.  When I am stuck in my wheel chair, he brings it all to the door.  I have to get him a gift.

I called the Bass Pro Shop and they suggested a very nice tackle back pack.  My air plane tail number was 007, like bond, jeanne bond......... I was also a 'spy' and he gets a kick out of how I get mail for characters in the books I write.  People think these people are real and they get all kinds of crazy offers and coupons and samples.  I had to buy a special mail box that can hold up to one weeks worth of mail---but I use it only for one day. 

I want to have an embroidered patch 007, so he will always know it is from me.  I have been told by the Bass Pro Shop that I can get a super duper big time tackle box for about $75. 

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taKENheart
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:45 PM

I think that's beautiful that you want to get him a gift.  I hope your next mailman is as good to you as he is.

MsBlueBelle
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:52 PM

When I write up my list of people to give to, yes family, children and friends.  But I also have a long list of people who you don't think of but they make life so much nicer.  Mail men & women, the Police, Fire or Paramedic crew who saved me one more time.  The garbage men who want coolers full of cold drinks in the summer and warm coffee coupons in the winter.  My yard man who keeps my garden looking great, the honey do guys and gals who help me with all those things I cannot do for myself anymore.  My hair lady, the nail lady.  Then my service dog and his pet cat, who get groomed weekly.  The veterinarians that keep them safe and well.  My life is like that show 'Dirty Jobs' no life does not touch another life.  My doctors, my nurses, my eye care, my teeth care.  They all keep my life wonderful.  My pharmacist, the delivery guy or gal. 

Quoting taKENheart:

I think that's beautiful that you want to get him a gift.  I hope your next mailman is as good to you as he is.

childofgod04
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I like the tackle box idea that sounds nice and the patch too! I think it's great that you want to get him a gift! A lot of people don't remember people like them.

SweetLuci
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I would not get him a specific gift. Fishermen usually have very specific tastes as to what they use. A gift card to Bass Pro would be a good idea. Also, he's not supposed to accept gifts like that, so giving him something that large could be a problem for him when he goes back to the po.

taKENheart
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:15 PM

You are a very thoughtful lady.  I'm sure all of those people appreciate you acknowledging them with a little something.  I think that's awesome!

Quoting MsBlueBelle:

When I write up my list of people to give to, yes family, children and friends.  But I also have a long list of people who you don't think of but they make life so much nicer.  Mail men & women, the Police, Fire or Paramedic crew who saved me one more time.  The garbage men who want coolers full of cold drinks in the summer and warm coffee coupons in the winter.  My yard man who keeps my garden looking great, the honey do guys and gals who help me with all those things I cannot do for myself anymore.  My hair lady, the nail lady.  Then my service dog and his pet cat, who get groomed weekly.  The veterinarians that keep them safe and well.  My life is like that show 'Dirty Jobs' no life does not touch another life.  My doctors, my nurses, my eye care, my teeth care.  They all keep my life wonderful.  My pharmacist, the delivery guy or gal. 

Quoting taKENheart:

powow65
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Some people say "give a gift card".
Idk. Good luck.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:32 PM

How sweet of you.  I would probably just do a giftcard because I am terrible comitng up with ideas. Hope you figure out what to get him and please update us ;)

MsBlueBelle
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:25 AM

For Christmas, I gave him and his wife $50 gift card to the outback restaurant.

Quoting powow65: Some people say "give a gift card".
Idk. Good luck.

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 3:34 AM
A tackle box sounds very thoughtful
lil_mama06
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 4:15 AM

My last mailwoman would do things above and beyond...I'd make her some gifts....I too hope your next mailperson is as much help as he is....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)