Utilities-are they breaking you?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:06 AM
  • 186 Replies
With this crazy weather I'm scared to see my utility bill. We've had furnace problems and the space heaters are eating the electricity. Our house is all electric and the utility bill includes water and sewer.

Ours was 347 last month an I expect this month to be higher.

Are you drowning in your utility bill?
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamivon2
by Sandra on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:17 AM

my powerbill was over 600 dollars and my waterbill for some reason was 220. I think I have a leak somwhere and not just in my wallet....

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:26 AM
3 moms liked this
Hours runs about $75 a month. We have an oil burner but we use our wood stove as our main form of heat. DH recycles heating oil so we haven't bought oil in over 9 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Ours was $244 for our small house last month. I'm actually expecting our new house to be less because it is much more energy efficient.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Yikes! Do you have someone that can check that out? That's insane.

Quoting mamivon2:

my powerbill was over 600 dollars and my waterbill for some reason was 220. I think I have a leak somwhere and not just in my wallet....

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
We had the same happen when we moved from an old farm house that was 1000 sq feet to our newly built 2500 sq ft home. Our heating bill was less!

Quoting psych_mom:

Ours was $244 for our small house last month. I'm actually expecting our new house to be less because it is much more energy efficient.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Oh that's awesome! I would love to have a wood burning stove.

Quoting mrswillie: Hours runs about $75 a month. We have an oil burner but we use our wood stove as our main form of heat. DH recycles heating oil so we haven't bought oil in over 9 years.
elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this

We are on a budget plan, it's the same all year.

mrswillie
by CeeCee on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:21 AM
It is a lot of work, in the summer we spend 2 full weekends blocking and splitting wood to get ready for the winner. It also causes a little mess in the house.

Quoting MamaJane: Oh that's awesome! I would love to have a wood burning stove.

Quoting mrswillie: Hours runs about $75 a month. We have an oil burner but we use our wood stove as our main form of heat. DH recycles heating oil so we haven't bought oil in over 9 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chicken13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Nah.  NH is cold.  It just is.  We've used more wood...but that's not a big deal.  Dh splits most of ours.

kirstensmommie
by Joy on Feb. 10, 2014 at 8:26 AM
Not really, most of my electric bill is because of all the computers my boyfriend has running in our apartment.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: