What to do with empty soup cans, tuna cans or vienna sausage cans. METAL not PLASTIC

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:44 PM
  • 26 Replies
2 moms liked this

I was in the military and my Grandmother always sent me her homemade cookies.  She would roll out the sugar cookies and cut them with the empty, clean Campbell soup can (or any brand).  When the cookies were baked and cooled, they shrunk just enough to stack inside the empty soup can.  This was a great treat to get several cans of cookies, uncrushed and wrapped up in wax paper.  These make great gifts.  Also a good Scout project.

Tuna and Vienna Sausage cans are pretty durable.  I make emergency candles and camping candles or fire starters with them.  I get some corrugated cardboard from any old box.  I measure the depth of the can and then subtract about 1/4 of an inch.  It doesn't need to be perfect, just below the rim.  I use the premade wicks from the store, but wick cord cut to length works great.  I roll the strips of cardboard and stuff it in the empty can.  So it looks like a cinnamon roll.  I melt paraffin or wax, used to seal jelly jars or use candle wax from the craft department.  Poke the wick from the base through the center of the cardboard roll.  CAREFULLY pour the melted wax into the can.  How I melt the wax is I take a used metal coffee can, or something like that, those huge cans that family size or picnic size canned beans come in?  After it is cleaned out, careful of the edges, I put the wax in that, then THAT can sits in a large pot of water and water is heated to melt the wax.  No need to clean out the can after you pour the candles, once it has cooled down it can stored to reuse another batch of wax.

I use a locking wrench on the can of wax AND oven mittens to keep from the burning myself.  I do this pouring on the patio so if I spill it, it won't mess up the kitchen floor.  I leave them to cool over night and then package them in my emergency kit.  They burn well, they are not for show, just emergencies.  If I have to start a camp fire, these help keep the kindling burning so wet logs catch. 

Be safe and tell me your ideas on how to prepare in a frugal way. 

by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Love these.I dont have any. I use the grocery bags when I clean out the litter boxes

taKENheart
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Nice!  I've only cut biscuits with a can because I don't have a biscuit cutter.

MsBlueBelle
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I still line the bottom of garbage cans with newspaper.  Even though I use tall garbage bags, something always spills, dribbles and makes a huge mess on the bottom.  When they need cleaning, I bring them outside, fill them with the hose and some laundry soap and leave them overnight.  Then I dump out and rinse.  I let them dry in the sun. 

When I sew, instead of tons of pins while cutting things out, I use unopened (heavy) cans to hold the pattern down on the fabric.  I just pin the critical areas, snip IN instead of out for those triangles marks.   I use address labels with right front, or back bottom on each piece in case it is a long time until I can finish the garment and pattern comes off a piece.  To match fabrics, I am terrible about a striped or plaid fabric and the back seam is off by one inch and the back seam screams like a stubbed toe.  Buy a little extra fabric (the pattern repeat amount) then 'color' the stripes on the patter back left and right and match the 'colored' areas.  All the reds and blues lines will all match when you put the dress together.  Imagine the USA flag with the stripes off by one, half way through, UGH. 

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM

awesome ideas

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:35 PM
That's what we do too, or use a pint glass.

Quoting taKENheart:

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:36 PM
I love the can of cookies idea, thanks for sharing all these tips OP!
bether89
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I love the emergency candles idea.  My neice used empty soup cans to make an Angry Bird game for my ds for Christmas.  She painted the cans green  and put pig faces on them.  You stack the cans like a pyramid and knock them over with a  bean bag.

taKENheart
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:45 PM

It works ;) I don't make biscuits enough to buy a biscuit cutter.  A recipe that I read said not to use stuff like that if you want fluffy biscuits but I thought they turned out just fine.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: That's what we do too, or use a pint glass.

Quoting taKENheart:

taKENheart
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Aww that's really cool!

Quoting bether89:

I love the emergency candles idea.  My neice used empty soup cans to make an Angry Bird game for my ds for Christmas.  She painted the cans green  and put pig faces on them.  You stack the cans like a pyramid and knock them over with a  bean bag.

MsBlueBelle
by Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I get such a thrill when we use our hearts instead our pocket books to make people happy.  I use a coffee mug to cut my biscuits.  I am going to 'borrow' that angry bird can idea.  I will print a picture and send it to a single Mom whose son really enjoys angry birds and they are really in a tight, tight financial bind. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner: