Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

some winter weather tips

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:38 AM
  • 16 Replies

with all the crazy weather we've been getting the last few weeks the news & weather channel are full of helpful tips.  here are a few:

in a power outage:  keep one light turned on.  i was always taught to go around & turn everything off but keeping one light on will not only let you know when power is restored but will help prevent a power surge when it does come back on which can result in another outage.

in frigid temps: open up the sink cabinets in the bathrooms & kitchen.  we've all heard to let the faucets drip but opening up the cabinets helps the warm air heating your home get to the pipes easier which aids in them not freezing also.

supplies: when we hear bad weather is on the way many already make a run to the store to stock up the pantry, get batteries, water, etc.  be sure to keep some of those supplies in your car though in case you get stuck/stranded.  things like a flashlight with extra batteries, non perishable foods like granola bars & dried fruits, a blanket & extra hats, mittens, scarves, etc. are all good to keep in the car, just in case.  also an ice scrapper (even if your in an area that doesn't see it much) is good to keep in the car & if you're in an area that does see a fair share of winter snow & ice a small broom to clean off those hard to reach areas of the car is a good idea.

any tips you'd like to share?

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slw123
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't wait until the last minute to stock up on supplies and then become a road/shopping hazard along with everyone else.

momofsixangels
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Quoting slw123:

Don't wait until the last minute to stock up on supplies and then become a road/shopping hazard along with everyone else.

Yep!

MamaMandee
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:34 PM
I do all those! Only tip I can think of make sure you have a charged cell phone with you if you have to drive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:33 AM

definitely & a car charger if possible.

Quoting MamaMandee: I do all those! Only tip I can think of make sure you have a charged cell phone with you if you have to drive.

momofsixangels
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Quoting MamaMandee: I do all those! Only tip I can think of make sure you have a charged cell phone with you if you have to drive.

Great tip

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Sleep inside a tent if you have one
MamaMandee
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Quoting momofsixangels:

Great tip

Thank you!

MamaMandee
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 3:41 PM

For sure! 

Quoting lizzig:

definitely & a car charger if possible.

sunshinepraying
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM

good tips. tfs

sunshinepraying
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 4:42 PM

make sure to have your cell phone charged in case you loose power

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)