Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your town/city going to do about all these Snow days?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM
  • 60 Replies
My kids are only 2 and 10months but this is at least the 10th snow day school's have had to cancel for.

I've heard a town close by is talking about going to school a few Saturdays to make up the lost time. I've also heard talk of canceling spring vacation.

Im in Massachusetts and kids already go to school until the end of June so if they make it up at the end, they'll be going to school until July!

How is your school district making up these lost days? At the end of the year or are they doing something.like taking away holidays and/or vacations?
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymously3
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Our kids were suppose to get out June 6th they are now going till the last week of June that's with taking all their vacation time from now till then.thats as of right now we are suppose to get more snow this weekend

mamacalifornia
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:14 PM

We never get snow days

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:14 PM

we've had 7 days thus far this year.  the first 4 we don't have to make up.  i know we'll have to make up these last three but not sure how they'll do it.  i like how one mama said they've extended her children's school day by a few minutes to make up the time.  i'd rather our school district do that than extend the school year or shorten spring break.

vermontmoms
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM
We don't take snow days unless it's over 10in and really bad out. The other day we had 8in and didn't even get a delay....
slw123
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:24 PM

No snow days here (in FL), but there was one year that we had a lot of hurricane days, there was some serious make up days, even into the summer.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:26 PM

I'm in Agawam, MA and they would just add on extra days to the school year. The kids would never go in on a weekend and they have never canceled vacations. They always threaten but the parents would kill them. My daughter will be 19 in a week so we have playing this game for a while now. 

momofsixangels
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Dont have them here

JessiFaye
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:28 PM

They've had so many here that they have reduced Spring Break to two days instead of five, they have to go on President's Day, and there is talk of adding 25 minutes to each day remaining in the year. That might not happen, though. The community leaders have appealed to be allowed extra calamity days that don't need to be made up, past the original five.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Well.  Going in July is not an option here because the teacher contracts end in June.  One year....the kids went to school right up til the last possible day and still hadn't "finished".  The district ended up adding an additional 15 minutes a day to the following year...not sure of the logic on that one...but that's what they did.

ZoeCY
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:31 PM

As of right now we have 6 days to make up (11 snow days total).  I am not sure what they will do, they go through the first week in June so they will probably just get tacked on the end.  A friend of mine works in another school district and they (teachers) voted to have school on a couple various days they had scheduled off to make up the difference.  It was rumored that the governor would be forgiving some of the days at least but it is looking as though that will no longer be the case.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)