Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

delivery drivers

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:51 PM
  • 26 Replies

if you order food for delivery do you tip the driver? 

we typically don't order food for delivery but i just ordered pizza.  i did it through the shops website & when i checked out my total included a delivery charge & in quotations it stated that any delivery fee charged is not a tip for the driver.  so what is that fee for?  most often drivers use their own gas & while they may get a minor compensation for their gas & mileage it is just that, minor.  so who does the delivery fee go to if not the drivers?

i don't like tipping delivery drivers & not because i'm cheap.  i've worked in food service doing multiple jobs & have no problem tipping.  but i know many places that have the drivers give a percentage of their tips to those in the kitchen & that i'm not cool with.  i try to avoid restaurants that have a similar policy.  often the kitchen staff gets paid more than drivers & while they do work hard they don't deal with nearly as much b.s. as drivers.  they aren't out delivering food in rain & snow, trying to find out of the way addresses, have the risk of being robbed/car jacked, etc.  so why should they get part of the drivers tips. 

a pizza shop near me, not the one i ordered from tonight,  lets the drivers keep all their tips & has a tip jar in the store for pick-ups & those are the tips the kitchen staff get.  they also don't have a delivery charge.  those drivers i'll tip better than the one delivering tonight.  the delivery fee & not knowing what happens to the tips once the driver gets back to the shop tends to make me tip less.

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofnatalie
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:57 PM

I didn't know that some drivers had to split their tip.  That sucks, because the only time I do delivery if its pouring rain and I don't want to go out. They are the ones driving out in the rain getting wet, plus they are the ones at risk for getting robbed too. 

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:58 PM

yep, & that's the case for many.  the whole tip splitting thing is why we don't get much delivery.

Quoting momofnatalie:

I didn't know that some drivers had to split their tip.  That sucks, because the only time I do delivery if its pouring rain and I don't want to go out. 

aidyns_mommy
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:01 PM

So the drivers that have to split their tips, meaning they get LESS you tip LESS? That's logical. It's completely their fault they have to split their tips. smh.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:12 PM

i don't get food delivered from places that i know split tips so i'm not shorting a driver of their tips. tonight was an exception because i had promised the kids we'd try this pizza out & i didn't know their policy till after i had already placed the order.

when i tip i want the money to go to the person i'm tipping, the one i'm "rewarding for good service", which is what a tip is.  i've worked in enough food establishments to know that in many drivers make less than cooks so why should the cooks get part of the drivers tip.  same with servers.  we all know that their hourly wage is a joke so why should they have to share their tips with the kitchen staff that makes more than them an hour?  i don't believe in this which is why i don't give such establishments my business.  like this pizza place whom we won't be getting pizza from again.

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

So the drivers that have to split their tips, meaning they get LESS you tip LESS? That's logical. It's completely their fault they have to split their tips. smh.

aidyns_mommy
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Ok. I understand what you're saying. & like you said don't order from then again, but don't tip LESS just because you don't ike their policy. It's not the drivers fault, and you WILL be shorting him. Not fair IMO

Quoting lizzig:

i don't get food delivered from places that i know split tips so i'm not shorting a driver of their tips. tonight was an exception because i had promised the kids we'd try this pizza out & i didn't know their policy till after i had already placed the order.

when i tip i want the money to go to the person i'm tipping, the one i'm "rewarding for good service", which is what a tip is.  i've worked in enough food establishments to know that in many drivers make less than cooks so why should the cooks get part of the drivers tip.  same with servers.  we all know that their hourly wage is a joke so why should they have to share their tips with the kitchen staff that makes more than them an hour?  i don't believe in this which is why i don't give such establishments my business.  like this pizza place whom we won't be getting pizza from again.

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

just.me.
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Yes, I always tip.

powow65
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:32 PM
We always give either a $1 (if broke) or a $2 or even $3 tip.
I always tip the drivers.
DH used to work@ "papa Johns" & the drivers are almost a bad for pay as waiters (sad isn't it?!) so drivers always relay in tips as they're main income.
mom2jessnky
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:52 PM

I always tip for delivery, I don't see what them having to pay some to the instore people has to do with anything. I also tip when I pick up too, because I know that food didn't make itself.

I used to work instore at a pizza place, the instore employees and the drivers made the same wages, and for awhile the drivers did have to do "drivers tips" it was 25 cents per delivery that they paid out to the instore employees. So it's not HALF their tip, or half their perceived tip, it was a freaking quarter. If you did 20 deliveries in a night that's $5. Drivers were reimbursed to an extent for gas and mileage. I think it was 10 or 15 cents a mile (this was awhile ago). I lived in a super touristy town so the drivers made REALLY freaking good tips, like $3 was an AWFUL tip. Only one driver had a problem with the driver tips thing, everyone else found it to be more than fair.

I tip 15-20% on delivery. So if my bill is $30 they get $5. If the weather is bad I tip more.

alliesmom112
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:56 PM

I didn't know drivers had to split their tips. I always tip in fact DH often says I over tip

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:14 PM
I wish we could just do away with tipping! I really dislike it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)