Group Home

Square foot gardening?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:04 PM
  • 62 Replies
Anyone do it? Any helpful tips? How and when do you plant each type?
TIA!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:17 PM

No, I would love to learn more about it. 

mom2cuteez
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:20 PM
I've been reading the book and am going to start two 4x4 ones this spring but is love to know how/where people bought the soil, what they planted/when etc. I want to soak it all in.

My son's teacher did it last year with great results!!

Quoting momofnatalie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charla_r
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Me too.

Quoting momofnatalie:

kcangel63
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:31 PM
We've used Mel's Mix (from the Square Foot Gardening book), but haven't done the boxes yet. Dh is planning to build some this spring.
MamaJane
by Jane:) on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM
Dude! Me!!!!

I love it! Hubby built me 3, 4x4 boxes and one 18x5. We had to divide that one up into 3 sections. The idea is, if you can reach it from all sides then you can pile more stuff in there.

Also look up soil. Another name for it is no till gardening. You can put newspaper down on your grass and build up and never have to till the earth. If you don't till you also won't have to weed. Tilling brings the seeds all up.

You take nails to the outside boards and put one every foot around the circumference. Then take string and connect the boards to make 16, 1 foot sections. Make sense? I hope lol.

Some plants can have more then one in a grid. You can easily put 2 pepper plants but only one tomato or broccoli. And you can get 16 onions. Not all the research I did was correct in the amount of plants so its a little trial and error. I would suggest getting a book on what plants you should plant together. Also known as companion gardening. For instance basil by tomato helps keep bugs from the tomatoes, but there's some plants that wouldn't go well with tomatoes. I don't have it all memorized and still have to look things up myself.
I may have a pic of last years garden.
bether89
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:45 PM

We did one in our front yard with strawberries in it last year.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:47 PM
One issue I had with Mel's mix is it was too well draining. The first year I uses it my plants just weren't growing. My brother came by to check it for me and he suggested adding potting soil because the soil was draining too well and all the nutrients were being lost. I did it and within a week my plants tripled in size. The next year I mixed potting soil with the Mel's mix to add to my boxes and everything grew really well.

Quoting kcangel63: We've used Mel's Mix (from the Square Foot Gardening book), but haven't done the boxes yet. Dh is planning to build some this spring.
mom2cuteez
by Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:49 PM
Where did you find Mel's mix or did you make it? Any help appreciated!! Thanks!!

Quoting kcangel63: We've used Mel's Mix (from the Square Foot Gardening book), but haven't done the boxes yet. Dh is planning to build some this spring.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcangel63
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this
We made it. The vermiculite was the hardest to find. It took us a few months to find a place that sold it.

Quoting mom2cuteez: Where did you find Mel's mix or did you make it? Any help appreciated!! Thanks!!

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Here's the only one I could find
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. aneela
  2. Vertical15
  3. mrswillie
  4. ceciliam
  5. deccaf
  6. SweetLuci