Group Home

Would you let your kid skip school to go to Disney World?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:09 PM
  • 63 Replies

Just wondering how other moms feel about kids missing a week of school to go to an amusement park or other vacation type thing. How does your school handle it?

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2boys664
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:13 PM

My mother lives in FL, and we took the kids out a couple of years ago for the three days before Thanksgiving.  We happened to also go to Disney since we were there.  I think it depends on the kid, the grade they are in and what they might be missing.  We may do it again this year, the two oldest are in 2nd grade and the youngest is in Kindergarten.  The week of Thanksgiving will not be a banner week of learning at that age, so I am completely fine with it.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:17 PM

No I wouldn't. The kids get plenty of time off of school already. School should only be missed for sickness, not frivolity. Parents letting their kids skip school for stupid reasons, are the reason that schools end up with really strict, psychotic attendance policies, like the policy at my kids last school.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Yes and I have. My dd was in preschool and son was in first grade. They missed 5 days (dd missed less) and I think I filled out a form for my son so it was an educational trip ;)

ZsMommy
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Nope. We've had ths discussion in our house. Missing one day for a special once in a lifetime event-that's acceptable

Missing a week of school just to save some $ on the off season-nope. School comes first in our house.

Its.me.Sam.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:26 PM

i would!
kids are in school for sooooo many years... i love taking them out randomly for surprise fun.  makes great memories. 

pixiemg1
by Amy on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:31 PM

We have and will do it again.  We went in October of last year for a week to Disney.  My kids teacher had a vacation homework packet that they needed to complete plus they had to keep a daily journal of their trip.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Yes I would

Jemia
by Shekella on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:39 PM

We just did it in the beginning of this month and I would do it again in the future.

jackiewal10
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope!  Not for a week.  A day or two maybe before or after a week that is already off (like Spring Break), that I would consider so that the break was slightly extended.  A week of school is A LOT of school!! 

EireLass
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 5:30 PM
I always allowed my kids to take time from school. They were top students (to the point of leaving a year before graduating). Being present didn't make their work get done faster.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. letstalk747
  2. lizzig
  3. Jukebox_Jenny
  4. powow65
  5. alf2651
  6. Angela4boys