Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Share Your Battles Challenge Day 6: Fun with Science!

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM
  • 126 Replies

A fun and educational way to keep your kids busy when they are stuck in the house is to do science experiments. It's a great way to get your kids away from electronics and extend learning at home!

Here are some simple experiments to do at home:

Watch Plants Drink-  For this fun and easy science experiment all you will need is white flowers (carnations are great), a variety of food coloring, and water filled cups. Put a different color of food coloring into each cup of water. Trim the stem of the flower and place one in each cup of water. Your kids can watch the color change over the next few days!

Magnet Fun- This experience is fun for kids of all ages, even your little ones. You'll need a clear plastic bottle (soda bottles work well), pipe cleaners, and a magnet. Cut the pipe cleaners into small ½ inch long pieces, put them in the bottle, and close the cap. Have your kids hold the magnet to the outside of the bottle and watch as the pipe cleaners follow the magnet!

Tornado in a Jar- All you need for this experiment is a clear jar (something small like a jelly or small sauce jar), water, and a small amount of dish soap. Fill your jar with water and squeeze in a small amount of dish soap. Close the lid, shake the jar, and watch the funnel cloud form!

The Sunscreen Experiment- This experiment will help end the sunscreen battles in the summer! You'll need black or dark blue construction paper and a small amount of liquid sunscreen (not the spray kind). Fold your construction paper in half, open it back up, and add a small amount of sunscreen to one side of the folded construction paper (make sure your kids rub it in as much as they can). Put the construction paper in direct sunlight, moving it through the day as the sun moves. After 5-6 hours you'll see that the side of the paper with the sunscreen is still dark while the side without is faded. You can use this experiment as a lesson to your kids about the importance of sunscreen!

teacher

Let's see pictures of your kids doing science experiments!

Do your kids enjoy doing science experiments at home? What are some science experiments you've done with your kids in the past?

Join Our Share Your Battles Challenge-- Sign Up Here!

One mom who participates in all 10 days of the challenge will be entered to win a $350 Kmart gift card!

Check out Kmart's Spring Home Sale!

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Great tips I'll try some later when my son comes home

Hottmomma607
OMG!!! Jax is gonna go off the deep end!! Even deeper! lol
Today at 11:47 AM
by Trica on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I'll check on pics. But My kids have done the mentos and soda in a bottle. Lots! lol

I need to try the tornado!

othermom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM

We like to do science experiments.  They love to help with stuff around the house like with plants int he garden, ect

lunabella79
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:45 AM
My kids will love these!
timon95
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:45 AM

they have made grapes into raisins, drew pictures, wrote descriptions of what happened.

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Cool ideas!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Luci on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM

We enjoyed doing science experiments when they were little. We did the one with the flowers and colored water.

I love the sunscreen one.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM
We've done the tornado in two liter soda bottles, but those other ones are new.
liveforever
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM
4 moms liked this

Those are good ideas! 

With how cold its been this winter weve done the throw hot water out and watch it turn instantly turn to snow...and we also attempted frozen bubbles at a friends house!

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM
love it!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)