Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Truly disgusted to say I live in FL

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:08 PM
  • 57 Replies

Elderly Woman To Remain Jailed For Feeding Birds

Posted: Mar 06, 2014 4:14 PM EST Updated: Mar 06, 2014 4:14 PM EST

TAMPA, FL (FOX 13) - A woman who was arrested last month for feeding wild animals will stay in jail for now after her latest arrest.

A judge decided this morning to hold Mary Musselman, 81, behind bars after she allegedly violated the terms of her probation.

Musselman originally went to jail back in January after wildlife officers said she violated probation by feeding bears in and near her backyard. They said she had been warned not to feed wild animals last November after wildlife officers had to euthanize a bear she had been feeding.

A judge gave her probation at the time, and made it clear: Do it again, and go to jail.

She did, was arrested in January, and the case ignited controversy when Musselman was held without bond.

Her attorney, William Fletcher, told FOX 13 that officers issued a new arrest warrant after checking on her home and seeing that she was leaving bread out for crows.

That violates her court order not to feed any wild animals.

Musselman appeared in court this morning. Fletcher said a medical evaluation concluded that Musselman suffers from Alzheimer's and dementia, and he requested that the judge place her in alternate housing, such as her brother's home in Illinois.

"I understand the court orders need to be obeyed. But this woman, she's mentally ill, judge," he said.

The judge, however, said he wanted a more complete mental evaluation and ordered Musselman to be held in a secure facility until then, so she will remain behind bars.

Read more: http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/24907680/elderly-woman-to-remain-jailed-for-feeding-birds#ixzz2vE8MZvuT

by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Apr1l
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:09 PM
Um wow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Wow.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM

sickening!!! That judge should walk a day in an alzheimers victims shoes.Makes me so sad and sick to think of this. WTH is wrong with him?????

deccaf
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Okay, until I read about the Alzheimers, etc. I was all for the punishment.  But putting her in the care of someone else would be the best solution.  She should not be in jail.

wandep
Hope everyone has a great week!!! It's almost Christmas time!!!
Yesterday at 9:39 AM
by Pam on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:13 PM

sad

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:16 PM
Awe. That's sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:28 PM
2 moms liked this

& yet the real criminals are getting off on "technicalities" free to commit their real crimes over & over!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:32 PM

really?  being held without bond for feeding wild animals is ok?  yes she "violated" her probation but is what she doing worse than those with multiple dui's that are able to get out on bail the next day?  with some repeating their actions before their court date. 

Quoting deccaf:

Okay, until I read about the Alzheimers, etc. I was all for the punishment.  But putting her in the care of someone else would be the best solution.  She should not be in jail.

egyptian_mommy
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:46 PM
That's messed up.
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Geez, if she is ill, she needs care not jail.  That poor woman, if her attorney presented evidence she has Alzheimers then he should have released her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN