Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Denied, Denied (an update on my dad)

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:44 AM
  • 35 Replies

We have been battling my dad's Medicare HMO to keep him in the nursing home so that he can get Physical Therapy 5 days a week and Occupational and Speech.  Medicare covers 100 days of therapy, they only covered 60.  We exhausted our 2 appeals and we have a right for a hearing in front of a judge but it will take 30-60 days to get a court date and he has to stay at the facility.  If the judge does not find in our favor, we will have to pay for the entire time that he is at the facilty.  It costs $275 a day for room and board, not including his therapies $30 for 15 minutes, and incontience care charges, and all copayments for his meds. 

We have decided that we are going to have to take him home.  We had to remodel their bathroom because we could not get the wheelchair in to get him in the shower, so we have to move the sink and toilet around and redo the shower so he can get in it.  We are also trying to find caretakers who can help my mom get him out of his chair, help her with his meds and his feeding tube.  Currently, he is unable to swallow, cannot walk and cannot use his left arm and has little use of his left leg.  It's been 3 months since the stroke and he has not made as much progress as we hoped.  He caught pneumonia which was left undiagnosed for weeks by the nursing home staff and hasn't been the same since. 

We hope by being home, it will lift his spirits and we can get him stronger and more able bodied.  Has anyone ever had to hire a caregiver or nurse?  Are their any tips you can give me?  We have been trying to find affordable care and its been tough.  Thanks so much for the continued support and prayers. 

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teamwilson
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this
God sees your struggle and knows your dad's pains. He will make way. Stay strong in prayer. I'll be praying for you all.
chicken13
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Been there.  I feel your stress and your heartache.  We (me and my MIL) were the ones who took care of dh's grandparents (despite the large and closer proximity family).  The grandfather passed quickly after his last heart attack.  Leaving our 84 year old grandmother living alone.  We hired a home health aide to check in on her once a day, and myself and my MIL alternated visits, appointments, etc.  then she fell and broke her hip.  She hated the rehab facility, refused to eat...it was awful.  She just wanted to go home (to her cat...which she probably tripped over in the first place).  We pulled her out, got round the clock care, a maid and rehab in her home.  It was exhausting.  But she was happy.  

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:21 AM
I am really sorry to hear this. I so wish things were different for elderly care in this country. Makes me so sad. Everyone I have known have ended up doing so much on their own. It is not easy to lift and move an adult. Praying you find some great aides!!!!
powow65
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:28 AM
I am so very sorry.
:'(

That hurts the worst. There are people using/abusing the medical system but for the elderly "meh", smfh. Wtf is wrong with the system?! We need to help our parents/grandparents!
mrswillie
by CeeCee on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:45 AM
Hugs. A friend of mine had a stroke in 2012. I went to her house for months to take care of her so her spouse could work. When she first got out of rehab. A nurse and therapist came out several times a week until she was able to travel to outpatient. Have you looked into that?
suziejax
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:48 AM

I am so sorry hun. My mom had to have one but dad handled that part so i am no help there.

SarahSuzyQ
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I don't have any experience with this, just wanted you to know that I will continue to hold your family and your father in my prayers. 

fraujones
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I'm sorry your family is struggling with this. Wishing all of you the best. 

sukainah
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh I'm so sorry about your dad and the health care situation.  That is so loving of you to take him in to the home and care for him.  I wish I had advice, but I sure don't.

I will sure keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

lil_mama06
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:01 PM

That's awful of medicare....I hope by being home he makes a quicker comeback....I've never had to hire any caregivers...I have friend's that are caregivers...I hope you find the best person to fit in with your family...HUGS HUGS HUGS 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)