Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you get nervous to cook...

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:30 PM
  • 199 Replies

for your mother?  My mom might be coming soon from out of town.  Anyway, I don't want to feed her, lol!  She considers herself a good foodie cook.  Well, I happen to think I'm pretty darn good too but still, I don't want to cook for her, lol.  I just picture her critiquing my food outloud and all :/
I don't always like the recipes she prepares but I never say anything because I know she takes pride in cooking for her family.  Oh and besides, I know we all have our own tastes so I'm not saying I have a superior palate or anything.  We just have different likes and dislikes I'm sure.
I have to also mention that it's not just my mother but anyone that I cook for minus my immediate family that makes me nervous.
Some of you probably grew up in the kitchen with your mother but I did not.  I didn't have any interest as a teen to learn to cook.  This might be why my comfort level is low with other people tasting my food.

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fairybaby55
by Sara on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Nah not really.  Maybe a little for my MIL. 

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

NEVER!  My mom actually keeps taking my recipes home with her lol. She tries many new things because of me.

Now, MIL is another story because she is an amazing cook!

taKENheart
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Is it because you spent time in the kitchen with your mom growing up or as an adult?  I haven't :/
LOL I've fed MIL a few times in the past and worried mostly about the salt flavor since she loves her seasonings.  She had nice things to say, luckily :)

Quoting fairybaby55:

Nah not really.  Maybe a little for my MIL. 

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
My mom and I have similar tastes in food so it doesn't bother me =)
momofnatalie
by Lisa on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom can't cook so I don't mind cooking for her, my MIL is very critical so I've never offered to cook her anything. 

taKENheart
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Aww that's cool!
I don't think my MIL even cooks anymore.  Not sure she ever made much from scratch.  Dh never talks about her food.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

NEVER!  My mom actually keeps taking my recipes home with her lol. She tries many new things because of me.

Now, MIL is another story because she is an amazing cook!

taKENheart
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:11 PM

That's awesome :) Is it because you cooked with her growing up?

Quoting jconney80: My mom and I have similar tastes in food so it doesn't bother me =)

taKENheart
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Does she do boxed meals?  I started off with those at 17 and worked my way up, lol.
Is your MIL a good cook in your opinion?

Quoting momofnatalie:

My mom can't cook so I don't mind cooking for her, my MIL is very critical so I've never offered to cook her anything. 

VinVanMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't worry about the taste but when I share rich recipes sometimes people complain about the weight they'll gain. Which is why I have to share it or I'll weigh a ton. 

ZoeCY
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope but I did grow up cooking with my mom. The only person I've ever kind of been nervous about cooking for was MIL but I got over that pretty quickly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)