Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You have got to be kidding?!?! ver. my BFF's wedding registry!

My BFF (for 15+ yrs) is getting married in December, I'll be celebrating my 10th anniversary in October. We are at different places in life, and I'm really noticing a gap between us lately. Her sister got married 9 years ago and my best friend couldn't believe how much she spent on her wedding, her dress, etc. Well I really think this has a lot to do with my friends fiance, but they are spending the big bucks, her reception venue alone has a $10k minimum. I remember her going on and on about how ridiculous her sisters registry was so I thought my BFF would be the same down to earth girl I've grown up with, but she just sent me a link to her Macy's registry and I am having sticker stock. (I'll preface saying I got married at the court house and didn't get a traditional wedding- I sort of regret it now, but back on topic)...

The registry- the china is all Noritake Platinum wave pattern

Covered veg. bowl- $179.99

Gravy boat- $84.99

Oval Platter $119.99

1 Place setting- $89.99 (Wants 12)

Salt and Pepper shaker- $49.99

anyways it goes on and on, but really $85 for a gravy boat?!?!? The silverware set is $44.99 for 1 setting, good grief!

Guess I am just in shock!

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Replies (21-30):
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:31 AM
3 moms liked this

Is this all that is on her registry?  All high ticket items?  If so, then yes, that is exorbitant.  However, if she has other items on her registry and has a large price range (less expensive items all the way to the expensive China settings) then stop focusing on the pricey items.  To be honest with you, when I got married 7 years ago I had a registry that listed fine China and silverware too (both of which I didn't originally think of doing but did so once I got there and got swept up in everything) BUT the majority of my registry was incredibly affordable.  I never expected anyone to get me the China or silverware and I was surprised that some did.  After all is said and done though, you also get a discount on EVERYTHING on your registry that was not bought for you so she could also have put that on there with the thought that later on she can buy it at at least 20% off. :/

Countess79
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Um.. SHIT! I'd buy her a card..and include a 20 dollar bill.. telling her I am sorry.

If she's down to earth she'd understand... If not.. well she'd have to get over it!

Lottie925
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Are their lesser items?

Is there a bigger item you can go in on with a friend? Ick.

I think its fine to have some bigger items, but you need a lot of little ones too.

Get her something from crate and barrel. lol

luvnature
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:42 AM

We never had a wedding registry. For us it was, get whatever you feel like. We never even asked for anything really, just that people show up to celebrate with us if they could. We were happy with all we received. The gifts didn't matter to me or my dh. It was nice because we received cash gifts and we were saving it to pay for the dance hall, but since my dh had worked at that place for a few years before we met, the dance hall owners gave us 300 dollars in cash, plus the dance hall, booze and food were part of their wedding gift to us. So we got all that for free. The only thing we had to do, was go there the day after to clean up. 

I ddon't buy anything from a registry, since most of the places they mention are far from where I live. I personally just shop in my town and for things I can afford as well as what I know will be useful for the people who the gifts go to. 

Music7706
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:44 AM

You dont have to buy off the registry....some people just put some stuff on and i ignore it.

In regards to her wedding and spending, its her wedding. Im not sure where you live, but every area of the country is different in regards to spending for a wedding. 

Where do you live? JW

RainyMorning28
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Is it all gold plated?

momkaribg
by Kari on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Thats ridicoulous

baquick
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Good gracious! That's expensive. I think around $50 was the most expensive thing on my wedding registry except the kitchen aid mixer (which I knew we probably wouldn't get, but tried anyway lol). But I did mine on amazon. Lol.
baquick
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Btw- you're featured!
littlelamb303
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this

I live on Long Island and weddings here are beyond extravagant, and they always have been. I believe my wedding in 1993 cost around 10k, so  10k today is actually a pretty cheap price where I live.   LOL  I have seen plenty of those types of wedding registries, including baby shower ones like this. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN