Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You have got to be kidding?!?! ver. my BFF's wedding registry!

My BFF (for 15+ yrs) is getting married in December, I'll be celebrating my 10th anniversary in October. We are at different places in life, and I'm really noticing a gap between us lately. Her sister got married 9 years ago and my best friend couldn't believe how much she spent on her wedding, her dress, etc. Well I really think this has a lot to do with my friends fiance, but they are spending the big bucks, her reception venue alone has a $10k minimum. I remember her going on and on about how ridiculous her sisters registry was so I thought my BFF would be the same down to earth girl I've grown up with, but she just sent me a link to her Macy's registry and I am having sticker stock. (I'll preface saying I got married at the court house and didn't get a traditional wedding- I sort of regret it now, but back on topic)...

The registry- the china is all Noritake Platinum wave pattern

Covered veg. bowl- $179.99

Gravy boat- $84.99

Oval Platter $119.99

1 Place setting- $89.99 (Wants 12)

Salt and Pepper shaker- $49.99

anyways it goes on and on, but really $85 for a gravy boat?!?!? The silverware set is $44.99 for 1 setting, good grief!

Guess I am just in shock!

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Replies (291-295):
cabenb
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:00 AM

That's crazy indeed!

Found this Infographic to control wedding costs. Could be handy for all planning to marry soon!

Madelaine
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Wow!

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Oh please no, don't get her a picture frame. I received 20 of them at my wedding! I've also heard other people say they received a ton of them. It's not really a good gift for a wedding.

Quoting lyrick24:

no way would i pay those prices. go to hallmark and get her a picture frame.

SweetLuci
by Luci on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:32 AM

It's fine china. It will last a lifetime. At one time, china, crystal  and flatwear were the only things you registered for. It may be that the reason she's doing this is because it's customary in her husband's family. You don't have to get her something from the registry.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM

i never got the point of registering for china, fancy silverware, etc. unless you are one that will be hosting fancy dinner parties on a regular basis.  my mom got married in the 50's & has china set she received for a wedding gift.  i only remember her using it maybe three times a year on holidays when i was growing up & that was before all the grandkids started popping up.  then she didn't even bother with the china anymore. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN