Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You have got to be kidding?!?! ver. my BFF's wedding registry!

My BFF (for 15+ yrs) is getting married in December, I'll be celebrating my 10th anniversary in October. We are at different places in life, and I'm really noticing a gap between us lately. Her sister got married 9 years ago and my best friend couldn't believe how much she spent on her wedding, her dress, etc. Well I really think this has a lot to do with my friends fiance, but they are spending the big bucks, her reception venue alone has a $10k minimum. I remember her going on and on about how ridiculous her sisters registry was so I thought my BFF would be the same down to earth girl I've grown up with, but she just sent me a link to her Macy's registry and I am having sticker stock. (I'll preface saying I got married at the court house and didn't get a traditional wedding- I sort of regret it now, but back on topic)...

The registry- the china is all Noritake Platinum wave pattern

Covered veg. bowl- $179.99

Gravy boat- $84.99

Oval Platter $119.99

1 Place setting- $89.99 (Wants 12)

Salt and Pepper shaker- $49.99

anyways it goes on and on, but really $85 for a gravy boat?!?!? The silverware set is $44.99 for 1 setting, good grief!

Guess I am just in shock!

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Replies (41-50):
kgbm13
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Buyers of the gifts find it over the top the brides find it a time for asking for the dreaming of gifts.  Me I don't buy off registries, I buy two sets of towels and embroider on them their names and hearts or rings in their wedding colors.  Can't rerun and people always need towels. And when purchasing white it matches any bathroom.

flibbertygibbet
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:15 AM
Wow!!
You could suggest a target registry as well for those who can't afford the exorbitant expense at Macy's
kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:15 AM

when i glanced down at the pricing before reading- i was like that is china. the last several weddings i have been to, the couples didn't do china. now when i got married 31 years ago- china was a big deal.   just get what you think they would like

poisonedtaco
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Well, at least she gave me and my coworkers some work! lol

Snakecharmer76
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Honestly, I got married almost 6 years ago and my registry had a whole price range for guests. I also had more than one registry so that everyone could find something within their price range. Is this your friend's only registry and are those the only items or are you just focussing on the big ticket items? I was very cognisant of giving my guests a wide variety of items and prices if they wanted to get something off the registry, and yes...I had a formal dish set on there (and I actually received the whole thing, including gravy boat which I do use when entertaining). Some people will go in together to get the couple a more expensive piece so it's good to give people the option if they so wish. It isn't set in stone though, so if you don't care to buy of the registry, then you can purchase elsewhere.

STVUstudent
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Wow... for me, the idea of a $90 place setting is ridiculous...  I don't do that kind of entertaining, and I don't believe I ever will.

My wedding registry had a lot of down to earth useful stuff on it... The best gift we got was a set of TV trays... 14 years later and we are still using them, and they only cost $49.00 for a set of 4...

poisonedtaco
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Also, a lot of times, Macy's has sales on stuff like that. I remember a few months ago, there were these 115 dollar microwaves and they were on sale for 19.99! All because we needed them out of the warehouse.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:18 AM
I was just thinking about what we actually need that we'd register for. A few items will be pretty expensive, but for the most part the items would be affordable.

Hers is crazy, but maybe they also give you a discount on anything left on the registry after so she could exchange things she didn't want and use gift cards to purchase other items
othermom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:22 AM

That is insane prices

Jennyanne322
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this
This is over the top for you? Lmao. This is a normal registry here. Most place setting are $130 or at least for Lenox they are. BBB and beyond excepts 20% off coupons on everything. So it actually ends up being what? $105 a setting with the coupon.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN