Group Home

operations and algebraic thinking

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:07 PM
  • 40 Replies

that was the title of the worksheet my 1st grader brought home today.  my first thought, "you have got to be kidding me!!"  i had never even heard the terms algebra, geometry, etc. until i was in middle school.

yes it is all "basic" stuff like 5+3+__=10, but still this is 1st grade we're talking about.  basic 1st grade not advanced.  when they did a geometry unit he was learning terms like rhombus & parallelogram.  i don't get why our school system wants to push kids so much today.  seems like it's become so focused on academics & accelerating their learning and there is no emphasis put on the other aspect of school, socialization.  i think that's a bit more important to learn then what a rhombus is.  after all how many times in your life has that fact been needed? 

by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I disagree.  I think school should be for academics.  The US is so far behind other developed countries.  Socialization can happen at after school activities, among friends, during time at home, pretty much any other place other than school.  I think it's great that your elementary child has a knowledge of algebra concepts and geometry terms.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM
3 moms liked this

i work in his school & for many of the little kids school is the only time they get to see friends. not all children are involved in activities after or outside of school.  not all children live in neighborhoods where they have kids their age to play with.  not eveyone has siblings.   you really think a 15min recess once a day is enough socialization for little ones? 

Quoting deccaf:

I disagree.  I think school should be for academics.  The US is so far behind other developed countries.  Socialization can happen at after school activities, among friends, during time at home, pretty much any other place other than school.  I think it's great that your elementary child has a knowledge of algebra concepts and geometry terms.

deccaf
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:25 PM
4 moms liked this

May not be a popular opinion, but I think socialization is the parent's job.  Education is what they go to school for.

Quoting lizzig:

i work in his school & for many of the little kids school is the only time they get to see friends. not all children are involved in activities after or outside of school.  not all children live in neighborhoods where they have kids their age to play with.  not eveyone has siblings.   you really think a 15min recess once a day is enough socialization for little ones? 

Quoting deccaf:

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:26 PM

School is for academics.  I am all for adding the arts in, but our kids need to be pushed academically.  Other countries that excel in math/science teach their children with similar concepts and that is why they are ahead of us.

Everyone will use something they are learning in school.  I'm in accounting, aren't you glad your accountant learned how to do math?  Not every kid will become an accountant, but that isn't for them to decide at age 6.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:38 PM

it should be but sadly not all parents can & will do such.  a single parent working 2 jobs can't really take the little one to the park so they can make friends.  don't forget the parents who simple neglect their children.  maybe it's because i work in the school & we're taught to be there for the kids because we don't know what home is like that i feel that we do need to stop pushing our little ones so hard & bring back recess/socialization time.  having kids spend 4 months out of the school year to prepare for a "standardized test" isn't getting us ahead of other countries.  having children do 2 1/2hr writing assesments that mean nothing for them but is simple a way for the state to grade the teachers isn't getting us ahead either.

Quoting deccaf:

May not be a popular opinion, but I think socialization is the parent's job.  Education is what they go to school for.

Quoting lizzig:

Quoting deccaf:

ceciliam
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

It's the same in our school. I couldn't believe the things my son was learning in Kindergarten, and now in 2nd grade they do things we didn't touch on until 5th grade. Times are definitely different but it seems to me the kids really understand the work, and that is a good thing. Maybe it's because we have realized that kids absorb things quicker when they are younger.

As for socialization, I think kids get more of that in classrooms now a days. I know when I was in school everyone sat in desks in straight rows. Now kids sit at tables or desks grouped together in table form. In our school they have morning meetings where they all gather on the rug...it's much more informal now and kids are encouraged to be social.

Quoting lizzig:

that was the title of the worksheet my 1st grader brought home today.  my first thought, "you have got to be kidding me!!"  i had never even heard the terms algebra, geometry, etc. until i was in middle school.

yes it is all "basic" stuff like 5+3+__=10, but still this is 1st grade we're talking about.  basic 1st grade not advanced.  when they did a geometry unit he was learning terms like rhombus & parallelogram.  i don't get why our school system wants to push kids so much today.  seems like it's become so focused on academics & accelerating their learning and there is no emphasis put on the other aspect of school, socialization.  i think that's a bit more important to learn then what a rhombus is.  after all how many times in your life has that fact been needed? 

psych_mom
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Actually one of the top school system in the world is Finland, and while they focus on academics it is not in the same way that we do in the United States. They do not make measurement of learning like the US does a top priority, but instead choose to focus on a variety of learning styles that work for different students. The reason the US is so focused on things like this is because of standardized test, which in reality do not measure the whole scope of what a child has learned because they learn much more at school than just what is taught in a text book. To function in society a child needs to know how to socialize and treat others and since they spend the better part of their days interacting with others it expected that they will learn this at school or where ever they are getting their education at.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

School is for academics.  I am all for adding the arts in, but our kids need to be pushed academically.  Other countries that excel in math/science teach their children with similar concepts and that is why they are ahead of us.

Everyone will use something they are learning in school.  I'm in accounting, aren't you glad your accountant learned how to do math?  Not every kid will become an accountant, but that isn't for them to decide at age 6.

mom2jessnky
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I have yet to see my kids do or bring home anything I feel is too much or too advanced. School is not happy giggle fart time that's why it's called school.

It's a parent's job to socialize their crotch fruit, if they refuse to do so, then that is their problem. I don't want my kids dumbed down because Johnny's mom doesn't feel like taking him to the park once in awhile. And as for the excuses, they are just that, EXCUSES, lame ones at that. I know plenty of single parents working multiple jobs that still manage to socialize their kids. The kids that aren't getting any social time outside of  school belong to the same parents that think it's the school's job to raise their kid. They got the kid to age 5 alive, it's now the public school system's problem to deal with the little demon.

elasmimi
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I too am amazed at what my first grader is learning. But I see it as a good thing, we are falling so far behind other countries academically. And she is having no difficulty learning it. She has basically no social life beyond her school friends, no kids in our neighborhood, no siblings, and she would like to have more, but that is our job, we send her to school to be educated.

egyptian_mommy
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 7:34 PM
Oh geez. I have a first grader but he hasn't brought home anything like that. Yet. I think kids are being pushed too hard & too far too soon. I'm all for learning but I don't think the US is on the right track right now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owner:
Most “Liked” Moms in This Group
Last 24 Hours
Last 7 Days
Last 30 Days
  1. hugss
  2. TheJerseyGirl
  3. sunshinepraying
  4. deccaf
  5. SweetLuci
  6. mrswillie