Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They gave him a used gift!!

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:35 AM
  • 247 Replies
2 moms liked this

My son had a birthday party back in Novemer and I invited his whole class, most of whom showed. It was a great time and everyone enjoyed themselves. Anyway we get home and he opens the presents and one of the gifts he got was an already used lego set. The box had been re-taped shut and all the pieces were in a Hefty zip-lock bag (not the numbered cellophane bags). All the pieces were there and DS enjoyed putting it together so I let it go. I figured maybe they didn't have money for a gift but didn't want to come empty handed (and of course how do you tell your child he can't go to a birthday party?).

Anyway, fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and I'm talking to the boy's mom in the park and we get on the subject of apartment hunting and she tells me that they just closed on a 3 bed, 2 bath co-op. I live in NYC and I can tell you that you can't buy an apt. that size for less than 2 or 3 million - yes, MILLION. We then get to talking about work (I'm a SAHM) and she tells me that her husband is a financial planner and she is a buyer for Bloomingdales.

Now, I don't want to sound greedy, I'm not expecting an Xbox Kinect or some other crazy gift that costs $300, but with the money they have you think they could have spent $20 on a new Lego set and not re-boxed one of their son's old sets.

I, of course didn't say anything and never would because in the end I have no clue what their reason for the obvious re-gift was, it just kinda bugged me. 

by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjames1990
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:37 AM
18 moms liked this
That is why they have money and can spend millions on a place to live. I have seen itna dozen times with doctors I have worked for.
suziejax
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:43 AM
22 moms liked this

read the book The Millionaire Next Door thats how they got rich is because they are being frugal most millionaires are frugal not lavish they are mostly partical. I am fine getting re gifted items! 

wandep
by Pam on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:44 AM
Sorry:(
bhow
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 9:54 AM
7 moms liked this

LOL!  I'm sorry you encountered this because we've had it happen too.  Although the mom did explain that her kids thought it was for them and opened it, maybe this was the case?? 

We know a few rather rich folks and two of the families were pretty conservative until their last kid left home.  

SarahSuzyQ
by Sarah on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Was it maybe a set that isn't made anymore? My son loves Legos, and he likes to buy them for friends, but it's not just any old Lego set... He has specific ones in mind. He was really disappointed a few weeks ago to learn that SpongeBob Legos had been discontinued, not because he likes them but because that's what he wanted to buy his friend.

And my son is 6, btw, so I think kids that are really into Legos just get really specific about it pretty early on.

Or was it a decent sized set? Because they $20 sets are actually fairly small, so if it was a nicer set then it might have been a more valuable gift than they'd have otherwise given for a classmate's birthday. KWIM?

I don't know. Maybe they were just being frugal, which I would also find to be a little bit obnoxious. 

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:23 AM
19 moms liked this
Meh. I think more people should re-gift. My siblings and I have a rule with the kids (nieces and nephews, not our own.) , if we get them a gift it has to be homemade, bought second hand or so on sale you couldn't pass it up.
lasombrs
by Sara on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry. I wonder if it was returned to the store like that and noone ever noticed and she thought she was buying a new set?

We just dont go because we cant afford the gift. My son was sad we missed out on a party two weeks ago but i just couldnt afford it at the time

othermom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:48 AM

good points

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Was it maybe a set that isn't made anymore? My son loves Legos, and he likes to buy them for friends, but it's not just any old Lego set... He has specific ones in mind. He was really disappointed a few weeks ago to learn that SpongeBob Legos had been discontinued, not because he likes them but because that's what he wanted to buy his friend.

And my son is 6, btw, so I think kids that are really into Legos just get really specific about it pretty early on.

Or was it a decent sized set? Because they $20 sets are actually fairly small, so if it was a nicer set then it might have been a more valuable gift than they'd have otherwise given for a classmate's birthday. KWIM?

I don't know. Maybe they were just being frugal, which I would also find to be a little bit obnoxious. 

Mom_to_Lincoln
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:51 AM
3 moms liked this

Maybe it was new and on of the kids opened it and they had to re-tape it back together. I had to hide a lego set I got for oneof ds's friend because my ds who was 5 at the time insisted that he put it together for him. lol

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM
7 moms liked this
I wouldn't be upset. I love it when others give my child anything they will enjoy.
I'm sure she knew your son would love the set.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)